Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Legends Axeo Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 01:56 AM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legends Axeo Help

Hello,

New user here and first post so I hope I'm in the correct forum.

I have a 2005 Road King standard which I installed the regular -1 inch Legend Axeo cartridges in the front a few years ago along with 12 inch Revo A's on the back. I'm looking to install a 21inch wheel.

I contacted Legends for advice and was advised to send in the cartidges and they will adjust them to accomodate the 21 inch wheel to prevent my front end from kissing my front fender. I was quoted $200 bucks to send them in. Of course I'll have to pay any shippings costs.

My question is, does anyone know what needs adjusted with the cartidges to accommodate the 21 inch wheel and could you share with me how to do it? I've always done all the maintenace on my bike, but I'm no mechanic so I learn as I go.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2024, 11:44 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Did you ask Legend's what they are doing?
Looking at the Legend's website, I see they sell a product called "Travel Limiter Kits For 21″ Wheels (1997-2024)". But this product has nothing to do with the cartridge, which you mentioned needs to be sent back. I suggest calling Legends and ask them. Report back with your findings. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2024, 08:58 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 468 Likes on 308 Posts

Do you plan on installing some sort of bracket that raises the fender?

Some/Most who install a 21" on a 2000-13 Touring bike, might enlarge a mounting hole to slightly tilt the fender for more clearance on 21".

And if you're not raising the fender, you would still have the same existing "suspension travel space" regardless of size of wheel used

Old 04-26-2024, 09:15 AM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Did you ask Legend's what they are doing?
Looking at the Legend's website, I see they sell a product called "Travel Limiter Kits For 21″ Wheels (1997-2024)". But this product has nothing to do with the cartridge, which you mentioned needs to be sent back. I suggest calling Legends and ask them. Report back with your findings. Thanks!
I reached out and asked about the travel limiter kit and those won't work for my application. I asked what needs done for the conversion and asked if I could do it myself. The response didn't explain what is involved for the conversion, however it was a solid no in response if i.could do it myself. Understandably it was no.due to liability.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Harley_ish
Do you plan on installing some sort of bracket that raises the fender?

Some/Most who install a 21" on a 2000-13 Touring bike, might enlarge a mounting hole to slightly tilt the fender for more clearance on 21".

And if you're not raising the fender, you would still have the same existing "suspension travel space" regardless of size of wheel used
I was looking at drilling out the rear fender fenderif needed to make the fender fit without doing the fender lift brackets.

I'm a little puzzled as why Legends makes two versions of the -1 inch Axeos. One for "standard" and one for a 21 inch wheel. My guess is ride height, but I was advised installing a 21 inch wheel with the "regular" -1 inch Axeo's could result in my front fender being damaged from bottoming out.

I was also advised Legends has discontinued producing Axeo cartridge drop ins.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 AM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 468 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunatic_Fringe
My guess is ride height
That makes sense

​​​​​​ but I was advised installing a 21 inch wheel with the "regular" -1 inch Axeo's could result in my front fender being damaged from bottoming out.
That doesn't ... (if you haven't/don't raise your fender)

Last edited by Harley_ish; 04-26-2024 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lunatic_Fringe (04-26-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:48 PM
Lunatic_Fringe
6th Gear

*UPDATE*

Legends made a few changes to their Axeo cartridges which started being sold in January this year. After a few emails, it looks like I'll be sending mine in for Legends to "convert" mine to the current generation as well as to accommodate a 21" wheel.

No specifics were given as to what this entails other than "replacing a few parts" and include the travel limiter cups.

Props to Legends with customer service, they are quick to get back to you. I've also been very please with the products I've purchased from them.

Thanks everybody.