EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1992 FLSTC kills after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 06:32 PM
Tedinator
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1992 FLSTC kills after warm up

Now that winter is over I am attempting to diagnose and tackle an issue that began last year towards the end of summer. My bike was running great after I finally got the carb cleaned, tuned and I fixed a few fouled chassis grounds there is no sputtering and I got a good light chocolate coloring on my plugs. Then while riding it after about 10 mins it just kills on me, not a pop sputter or anything fuel related.

Once my bike killed on me she would crank just fine but wouldn't fire until she was able to cool down for about 15 - 20 mins. I can get this to reproduce in my garage and I discovered that when cranking after she is warm I have no spark. After looking online I discovered some talk of others having issues similar to this and they fixed it by changing their ignition coil. I did check the resistance on both sides of my coil and while the plug wires side was showing 12k ohms, the low ohm side was purely on OL or no reading at all. I take this to mean that my coil is bad and I am prepared to buy a new one as the pricing isn't terrible.

I personally believe that Evo engines are the best engine Harley ever made, I just don't have the same knowledge on the Evo electrical system as I do on shovelheads, flats and pans, any assistance/help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I guess my question is how would the bike run at all if my coil was reading OL for resistance on the low resistance side of the coil?
  • Also how would I eliminate the ignition module as one of the potential culprits (aka I cant find any information in my service manual on how to test it or what readings I should be getting)?
  • Does anyone know or have any insight as to what this issue could be?

Last edited by Tedinator; 04-25-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:38 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like the coil is going out to me. Possibly swap for a known good one if possible, or just buy a good one and not a POS and be better off in the end.

Griz

The following 2 users liked this post by IBDAGRIZ:
Tedinator (04-25-2024), WP50 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:43 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 1,167 Posts

You sound savvy enough but my meter will read OL if not set to the correct level.
Not all that sure on a 92 but the module in the nose cone can be intermittent on a number of year bikes.
Might wanna ck it and see if it looks melted any at all.

Been lots of them replaced

WP

The following users liked this post:
Tedinator (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:44 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
Sounds like the coil is going out to me. Possibly swap for a known good one if possible, or just buy a good one and not a POS and be better off in the end.

Griz
Good to see ya Griz

WP

Old 04-25-2024, 06:46 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
Good to see ya Griz

WP
You as well Sir. Was a nice day on the RK today. Got in about 150 miles on the old girl and was nice to be rolling in the country a bit.

Griz

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:56 PM
Tedinator
1st Gear

You sound savvy enough but my meter will read OL if not set to the correct level.
Not all that sure on a 92 but the module in the nose cone can be intermittent on a number of year bikes.
Might wanna ck it and see if it looks melted any at all.

Been lots of them replaced

WP
Yeah, I got a new auto ranging meter and it seems to not love switching itself too a smaller denominator once it already was already reading something higher such as Kohms down to ohms. Might need to find my old reliable.

I was also going to look into nose cone as well I guess you could say I was just trying to hit the easy button.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:59 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tedinator
Yeah, I got a new auto ranging meter and it seems to not love switching itself too a smaller denominator once it already was already reading something higher such as Kohms down to ohms. Might need to find my old reliable.

I was also going to look into nose cone as well I guess you could say I was just trying to hit the easy button.
Anymore I look for an easy button real often.

Please let us know what ya find out

Good Luck WP

Old 04-25-2024, 07:00 PM
Tedinator
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ

Griz
I did find one on JP cycle and they have yet to sell me anything bad on other bikes and such. Hard to find good reliable parts that aren't costing an arm and a leg or are cheap chinesium doomed to fail from the start.

Thank you for the reply, I am going to start with coil and hopefully check that off the list.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:04 PM
Tedinator
1st Gear

Anymore I look for an easy button real often.

Please let us know what ya find out

Good Luck WP
Will do, Thank you for your reply's!

Old 05-01-2024, 06:19 PM
Tedinator
1st Gear

Alright Gents, I got the Ignition coil yesterday and put it in and she runs great! I did take the bike out for a good 2 - 2.5 hour ride today with no issues (besides some turn signal problems but that is what hand signals are for.)

Also Just for ***** and grins I cleaned up the contacts on the old coil to check ohms again and still no possible reading, not sure how the bike would even run at all with that coil, but she still would even if only for a few mins.

Thank you guys for the help and the responses! I am glad it was a simple fix and you guys helped push me to eliminate the coil as the issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tedinator:
t150vej (05-01-2024), tar_snake (05-03-2024)