Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New hard saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New hard saddlebags

So since getting my new pipes mounted, I now have the ability to get larger saddlebags on my Slim than what I have. I ended up going with the Viking Bags Lamellar Leather CoveredHard Large Saddlebags with Shock Cutouts. I should be able to use my current brackets as I will have to drill the holes for mounting. In addition the shock cutouts should accommodate the little bit of forward length as I will not be moving my tails and plate.

Once they arrive I will, as I always do, photolog the mount of them. Based on my research and measurements, I am pretty sure this is going to work.

In the interim, anyone have any experience with these bags?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Well, apparently I forgot rule number 1 of the internet- do not believe everything you read...

So I called Viking Bags to find out when my order will ship...won't be until near the end of the week. Despite their website saying that my model of bags being in stock, they aren't; I had been looking at them for a while now and since they said they were in stock, I ordered them. I was hoping to get them this week but I guess not.

I am very disappointed at the misleading information on their website...So far I will not be endorsing Viking Bags...maybe I should have stayed with LeatherWorks Inc??

Will see how it goes when the bags get here sometime next week; I hope they work...not a lot of faith in Viking Bags so far.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
LaidInk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel to bad, at least they'll ship this week! I've been waiting on some cfr mufflers to ship since November 25th finally got a notice two weeks ago that they're back ordered for 3-8 weeks. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Wishing you the best, I have read a ton of negatives on Vikings bags. More of customer service issues than quality.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Your going to lose a lot of space with the shock cutouts on those bags. You won't be happy with them on a softail.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was looking at the Viking Heritage bags, but they were shown as out of stock for over 4 months! I finally bit the bullet and went with Leatherpros, great bags.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by floridapoolboy
I was looking at the Viking Heritage bags, but they were shown as out of stock for over 4 months! I finally bit the bullet and went with Leatherpros, great bags.
I really like the Leatherpros bags. My wife has a set on her Sporty we bought new on Ebay for $300 and I have a set of Boss Bags on my Fatboy I bought in almost new condition for $450. I like the quick detach and close fit of both of them.

Keep your eye out for some good deals on ebay. Every now and then you find a good deal.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Your going to lose a lot of space with the shock cutouts on those bags. You won't be happy with them on a softail.
I did take that into consideration however I am a bit contstrained on choices due to my unwillingness to relocated my turns and plate...that said, the bags will have more space than what I have now.

My initial plan was to buy a touring bike this year, however, that will not happen for another year or so due to my buying a house for 2015. So trying to get my Slim a bit more comfortable/functional for longer trips. THat said, I will have my Slim paid for here in a couple of months, will be mine, free and clear

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
Well, apparently I forgot rule number 1 of the internet- do not believe everything you read...

So I called Viking Bags to find out when my order will ship...won't be until near the end of the week. Despite their website saying that my model of bags being in stock, they aren't; I had been looking at them for a while now and since they said they were in stock, I ordered them. I was hoping to get them this week but I guess not.

I am very disappointed at the misleading information on their website...So far I will not be endorsing Viking Bags...maybe I should have stayed with LeatherWorks Inc??

Will see how it goes when the bags get here sometime next week; I hope they work...not a lot of faith in Viking Bags so far.
Hi,
Thanks for taking the chance with us. I apologize for the delay.
I just want to offer some insight into why the delay- Truthfully, we've had a container at the Port of Los Angeles for almost 2 weeks now, going onto the third. Unfortunately, due to the congestion, port strikes, ect- We've been on the phone everyday with trucking companies to pick up and deliver our container to the warehouse, but every company in LA is at capacity. We're just now scheduled to receive our container this week. I apologize if it inconvenienced you and disrupted any plans you may have had. I'm sure you'll find the bags to be your liking, the leather covered hard bags are stunning. I look forward to seeing some photos of the bags mounted on your bike Anyway, shoot me an email if you have any questions or concerns at eddie@vikingbags.com If you want to send over some photos of the bags mounted, I'm sure we can work something out

For everyone else - http://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lam...-saddlebag.htm Don't let them sell out again

Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Viking Bags
Hi,
Thanks for taking the chance with us. I apologize for the delay.
I just want to offer some insight into why the delay- Truthfully, we've had a container at the Port of Los Angeles for almost 2 weeks now, going onto the third. Unfortunately, due to the congestion, port strikes, ect- We've been on the phone everyday with trucking companies to pick up and deliver our container to the warehouse, but every company in LA is at capacity. We're just now scheduled to receive our container this week. I apologize if it inconvenienced you and disrupted any plans you may have had. I'm sure you'll find the bags to be your liking, the leather covered hard bags are stunning. I look forward to seeing some photos of the bags mounted on your bike Anyway, shoot me an email if you have any questions or concerns at eddie@vikingbags.com If you want to send over some photos of the bags mounted, I'm sure we can work something out

For everyone else - http://www.vikingbags.com/viking-lam...-saddlebag.htm Don't let them sell out again
Thank you for the feedback; from a customer standpoint, the misleading information is a bit souring. If fact your site says that it is in stock and ships the same day STILL.

While I know there are things that are out of your control, inventory updates on your website is something that would be helpful. The fact that it is still say ships same day and is in stock looks a little odd to say the least.

Anyhow, I am anxiously awaiting my saddlebags...I am looking forward to recieving them and if there are any issues, I will be sure to email you.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Dutch101st; 01-12-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New hard saddlebags