Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Jeff71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the gloss black pushrod covers and am planning on ordering the gloss black rocker box covers so it's good to see what that looks like together. Confirms my decision on those two pieces. Looking good so far and I'm interested in seeing the finished product too.

Michael

Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going through my posts, looking at where I am and where I hope to be after this weekend and I realized that I have not given credit where credit is due. I will try to do better from here on out to at least post any threads, videos or sources of information that has helped me along the way.

First of all - and I can't stress it enough - get a service manual if you are going to do anything like this.

Giving props to forum members!!!! There is a very nice write-up on removing rocker box covers here on hdforums titles "how to change Rocker Boxes on your Dyna - How To" posted by Jousley. I found this write-up very helpful. He was working on a Dyna but the upper and lower rocker boxes and the concept of removal and installation are the same. If I had anything to add I would but this thread is very thorough.

Giving props to YouTube. With the cam install, I referenced this YouTube video:
I found this very helpful. Once again I did not experience anything unusual and have nothing to add to this. As I am looking forward to working on the bike again this weekend, I am currently reviewing post, videos and studying my service manual for the next steps. As I complete each step I will try and do a better job of referencing any information that I used for completing the job. If I can add anything I will.

Thanks for staying interested in my little project, thanks for all the comments. Everyone ride safe and I will hopefully be posting more progress this weekend.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you're doin this the right way dude. Using the manual and planning ahead.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 AM
budjuman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome, I too am blacking out my breakout and the rocker covers + pushrods in gloss look pretty nice!! Cant wait to see more.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

Today's update. It doesn't look like I did much on this side. I got some parts back from powdercoating and went ahead and installed the transmission side cover. For any of you in the Greenville area, Dan at Harley Davidson of greenville did a fantastic job and his pricing is very reasonable. I'll wait to show you the other parts when i finally get them installed. I can't give it all away just yet, I've got to keep you guys interested.

Now onto this side. The outer primary is replaced and the burst derby cover is installed. I also installed my powdercoated inner shift lever. You can't tell from this picture because there is no fender for reference but I was also able to get my shotgun shocks installed. Like I sai it doesn't look like I got much done but I think it was a pretty productive afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow it will continue to take shape.

Last edited by Harleyvetteguy; 02-06-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

The weekend is over, wish I had more time I didn't get quite as far as I wanted to. Exhaust is now installed along with a few other little pieces, fluids are all topped off. Intake would have been installed but the kit I bought had the wrong back plate in it so now I'm waiting for a new one to arrive.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

In that second picture the machined edge on the rear wheel looks like you have a white wall tire on. Never noticed it on any other breakout pics. Looks pretty cool.

Looking forward to the finished piece.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

And the weekend begins. I know I've said it before, but, I am really excited about the way this thing is coming together. Today I was able to get the intake installed. I was also able to get my Headwinds headlight bucket with the HD black daymaker headlight installed. The picture doesn't real do this headlight bucket justice. I looks fantastic!

I was also able to install the upper and lower belt guards. I am hoping to re-install the rear fender tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Headlight does look good dude

Quick Reply: Project Breakout