Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopped rear fender for Fatboy Lo - Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chopped rear fender for Fatboy Lo - Which one?

I just added a 2011 Fatboy Lo to the stable and the plan is to go almost totally black and chop the rear fender. I love the Heartland USA rear fender but can't justify the $$$ when I should be able to get the same result with one of these. Has anybody used one of these 3 fenders? My preference at this stage is the RSD but again a bit pricier than the other 2 given you have to buy the struts and can't use the OEMs Any comments or alternatives?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/141421957...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-9-REA...3D171659113175

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RSD-Track...17e6#vi-ilComp

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I like the RSD product, but in order for it to look right you really need to slam it, which will cost even more...
Here's another option. I've heard pretty good things about their products and some here on the forum rockin' them. If I was going to do an old-school chop, I'd probably go this route:

Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 AM
OIF SuperGlide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those Lucky Sucker setups as well, but...they eliminate the passenger setup. I actually chopped a FB Lo fender and put it on my NT. Air ride would make the gap a big nicer, but when I sit on it, it tightens up to maybe a 1.5". For the price (basically free), I won't complain.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:55 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that Hoggy I like the look of that too. Hadn't seen them before. I'll do some investigating.
OIF, I have thought of getting another Fatty fender and cutting it down but anything I've seen is just about as pricey as some of these and I still have to get someone to cut it down as I don't have the equipment or skills. I also want to keep the OEM in case I want to go back to that. Thanks again fellas for your posts.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The lucky sucker kits are pretty sweet and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them.

I might be late to this thread but take it from me dude, if you can wald and chew gum at the same time you can cut your own fender. Don't be intimidated by it, it's only metal and you can grind it to whatever shape you want !!

As far as equipment? All you need is a $40 grinder from harbor freight and a few cutting wheels. $60 investment at the most. You'll have to do new paint no matter which route you go.

The feeling you'll get when you get on that bike, ride it and someone compliments you on your new rear fender set up will last a lifetime.

If you don't have a garage or the space to do it yourself, then it's a different story. Acutally you can do it in your kitchen table lol. That's how easy it is.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried chopping a stock fatboy fender, and because of the massive gap underneath, it looks more like a dirt bike after the chop. That's why they have such long fenders; to hide the clearance. And whilst I have air suspension, so can "complete the look" when stopped, I need all that suspension travel on UK roads, so it looks terrible when riding it. I've since given up with a frame-mounted fender look.

I'd really like to get a swingarm-mounted fender, but hadn't found a solution. I'm going to look into how these work, as from the photo, it doesn't look like you need to mod the swingarm. (I guess normally you have to at least weld some strut mount tabs on or something.) The heartland(?) swingarm fenders look cool, but at $1900 a go, are a little too much for me to spend on looks.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Take a look at my profile pictures To see the lucky sucker fender. Cause it is swing arm mounted my bike is not lowered much. You do need to weld tabs on the swing arm for the struts but it is a good fit and looks nice. You cant sit a passenger on the fender so you loose that part

Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Peg have you seen these 2 that were done by Guildford Harley.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/newre...ply&p=13696320

Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry Pegs something went wrong there here's the 2 bikes.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...rley-customs-/

Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
Sorry Pegs something went wrong there here's the 2 bikes.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...rley-customs-/
Thanks, but those are frame-mounted, and (IMO) look **** because of the massive gap between the fender and the wheel.

I'm looking for something like the Heartland, where the fender is mounted onto the swingarm, and so moves with the wheel. Then you can mount it very tight to the wheel. It's similar to the way that the Rocker had its fender mounted.

I like my current seat, and don't want to switch to a spring seat. So I only really need the fender, but I don't think Heartland sell that on its own. And given the price for the complete system, I suspect it will be too expensive anyway!

I spoke to my local dealership, and they basically said they would charge me more than Heartland wants for the whole kit, just for the fender. I politely declined.

Quick Reply: Chopped rear fender for Fatboy Lo - Which one?