Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

redline vs syn-3 in tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
tripleb1911
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default redline vs syn-3 in tranny

dealership I used to go to in Virginia pushed Belray and I have now they push Redline for the tranny.

Two dealers I spoke to here in Georgia both say go with the Syn-3 for tranny.

The one guy said something interesting that may make sense.

He said many people like the other grades like Amsoil or Red line because he says it makes the bike sounds smoother. But because those brands are so slick there is slippage in the tranny and overtime parts wear incorrectly.

I Definitely wonder if that's true because since 2006 on my last Harley parts and service said don't use Syn-3 in the tranny but down here in Georgia they almost insist on. I don't know what to think about this

Last edited by tripleb1911; 03-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Super38
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This has literally been beat to death in the oil forum and in fact all over the internet...

What dealer(s) in GA (your profile says VA) and service writers or techs?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:36 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,339 Likes on 11,166 Posts

You got real problems if you get slipping in your transmission, since it is all meshed gears.

I call BS!

Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you definitively want a more gritty/friction type of oil so the gears grab together nicely. I just use my neighbors old oil after he does an oil change on his car.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Slippage? Lol
I took the redline out only because it smelled like ****.
Put hd transmission fluid back in.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleb1911
dealership I used to go to in Virginia pushed Belray and I have now they push Redline for the tranny.

The one guy said something interesting that may make sense.

He said many people like the other grades like Amsoil or Red line because he says it makes the bike sounds smoother. But because those brands are so slick there is slippage in the tranny and overtime parts wear incorrectly.

I Definitely wonder if that's true because since 2006 on my last Harley parts and service said don't use Syn-3 in the tranny but down here in Georgia they almost insist on. I don't know what to think about this
I realize that you've come here for opinions on this, but I'd like to hear what your opinion is?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleb1911
They are probably the same dealers that told me that using synthetic oil in my 2000 TC88 would destroy it. At the time Harley did not market a synthetic. I have always thought it funny that once Harley sold a syn, it magically became OK.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

I will never have my bike serviced at HD in Georgia if this is the type of info they are passing along. You have a constant mesh transmission, no slippage. Now a lot of people misuse the word transmission when they in fact mean primary (where your clutch is). There are a few clutch manufacturers that recommend only certain lubricants to be used with their clutch to keep it from slipping. Your stock clutch will be fine with any of the synthetics. And for your transmissions sake, use a heavier gear oil in it and not 20-50 engine oil.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Hi tripleb1911. Naw, the too slippery oil myth, as others have indicated, just isn't true. BTW, Amsoil and RedLine aren't even the same types of synthetic. One is a PAO the other is an Ester. They're both synthetic but are created altogether differently; not that it matters. What matters is that they won't cause harm to your bearings and sure as hell won't make gears slip. Clutch plates may be a different matter and RedLine has put friction modifiers into its dedicated "Primary" oil to address possibilities with regard to clutch slippage. In all probability, filling the primary exactly to mfgr's specifications probably does more to benefit clutch performance than anything else. I personally like the idea that RedLine makes product specific to each hole. Its common for fans of other engine oil brands to use RedLine in the tranny. Amsoil certainly gets great reviews too.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra1
They are probably the same dealers that told me that using synthetic oil in my 2000 TC88 would destroy it. At the time Harley did not market a synthetic. I have always thought it funny that once Harley sold a syn, it magically became OK.
I'm one of the "deniers" where Syn-3 is concerned. I'm convinced its a group III "highly refined" dino. Group III's are legally classed as a synthetic, but not in my court .

Quick Reply: redline vs syn-3 in tranny