Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Brake pedal arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:40 PM
super2kc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Breakout Brake pedal arm removal

Ok, maybe my eye sight requires another optometrist visit.
Anyone have experience in changing/removing the brake pedal arm?
Whats the trick in getting the pin outta the slave rod?
The pin backs out and gets caught up against the back mounting plate.
grrr
I know I'm gonna feel like a complete boob when I read the (no doubt) simple solution.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a bolt that goes thru your brake pedal arm to bolt it to the forward control. When you take the bolt out, you should be able to pull the brake arm enough to get the pin out of the slave rod. I hope this helps

Old 03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
EvoSpringer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you can post a pic or two of your problem area to shed some better light on what you are trying to accomplish

Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM
super2kc
Cruiser

I'm take a pic tomorrow, garage has cooled off too much tonight
I did remove the main mount bolt, the the cotter pin and tried to punch the pin back out, then tried working the arm off and trying again to get the pin out, no go, the pin seemed to only need another 1/8th of an inch and the arm woulda come free.
Starting to wonder of the slave has to be unbolted as well.
Definitely better light and glasses next time around.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

i just did this the other day and was a PITA. i loosened the large bolt that holds the master cyl to the peg assembly. i did not completely remove it, just loosened it enough so that the whole master can move just a hair to give you the room to pull the pin. learn from my mistake and put the pin in again the exact same way it came out. it will not go in all the way if you try to put it in from the outside going in. also that stupid pin is oblong so when you get it in it has to go in just a certain way so it fully sits in and then and only then will the cotter pin go back on.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

I tried to do it myself, too, and had to learn the hard way....

The clevis pin that attaches the pedal arm to the main cylinder rod is - according to the service manual and pedal install instruction - supposed to be stuck in from the outside with the cotter pin being located on the inside, towards the assembly bracket.

When I tried to change my pedal I realized that on my scoot the clevis pin was mounted from the inside, so in the other direction. When trying to push it out the head of the pin hit the mounting bracket and there was no way to get it out w/o further de-assemblage of the main cylinder unit.

Is it the same problem you have? Then it probably was the same bum at the factory putting our bikes together.

My solution: Took it to the dealer and told them to fix the crap as bike was still under warranty! And at that occasion had them change the pedal arm...

Old 04-01-2015, 07:34 AM
super2kc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EagleRay
I tried to do it myself, too, and had to learn the hard way....

The clevis pin that attaches the pedal arm to the main cylinder rod is - according to the service manual and pedal install instruction - supposed to be stuck in from the outside with the cotter pin being located on the inside, towards the assembly bracket.

When I tried to change my pedal I realized that on my scoot the clevis pin was mounted from the inside, so in the other direction. When trying to push it out the head of the pin hit the mounting bracket and there was no way to get it out w/o further de-assemblage of the main cylinder unit.

Is it the same problem you have? Then it probably was the same bum at the factory putting our bikes together.

My solution: Took it to the dealer and told them to fix the crap as bike was still under warranty! And at that occasion had them change the pedal arm...

Thanks Jersey, thats kinda what I was imagining I might have to do, Thank you for your input.

Eagle... I like the way you think, If I had the manual I probably would have already been on the phone will my local dealer doin the same as you :-)

It would seem that the way the pin comes through from the back side, yer pretty much guaranteed it aint gonna fall out on it's own, even if the cotter pin ghosts itself.

I great swell of appreciation goes out to the awesome experience and admirable people on this forum taking the time to help others out.
Cheers my friends!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Gman24
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear brake pedal removal on a breakout

Guys great info, I just realized the same idiot did that to my for is pin, but how do u remove the pedal, it says to rotate counter clock wise, but the pedal is blocked by my peg mount , any tricks

Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Gman24
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disregard lol I just figured it out since u can't rotate it out of the cow is rod, all I did was lift the rod off it. Lol sometimes u gotta walk away and come back. Thanks for the lead info though

Old 05-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I changed out my BO's brake lever/pedal a few months ago, and ended up cutting the head off the clevis pin with a Dremel and pushing it through....that was after F-ing with it for an hour!! Of course you'll need a new pin...

Last edited by Rocker B; 05-05-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Breakout Brake pedal arm removal