Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic sounding Bang when starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The battery can start to lose cranking power, without showing other symptoms of failure.
Try starting it with jumper cables hooked to another battery and see if that makes a difference. (If jumped to a car battery, the car shouldn't be running)

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spydyr
I went through this dilemma a few years back. At this point with the symptoms you describe, it's the compensator kickng back. However, you don't know which. I think it could be either weak battery or compensator, and there's not really a good check to see which it is, and here's why. When the battery's weak, it turns over slowly and the compensator kicks back, like it's designed to do. If the compensator is loose, it'll kick back more often than usual on starting.

Now, I'm a math guy. What's the chances of a compensator coming loose at 200+ ft/lbs torque? What are the chances of the battery being worn out? How old is the battery? When's the last time the compensator was taken out with that engine work being done? Weigh your options and make a first choice. Worst case scenario is you spend twice as much and fix something that's not broken.

Money wise, a new battery at HD is about $100. Autozone, $50. Compensator is a $10 bolt, then $20 of fluid and a $20 gasket. So, either way it's not a big expense. Doing both because you picked the wrong one, eh...
My thinking is very similar. I started by removing the primary and checking to be sure the Compensator nut wasn't loose. I wanted to change the primary fluid anyway so now that is done and I inspected everything else in there as well.

The battery was installed in the bike in August 2013. not sure how it has been maintained so my next thought is to just replace it. When I do get the noise, it seems as if the bike is slow to turn over and start. Think you convinced me to try the battery next. Worse case, I get a new battery and go from there.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:07 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Default Metallic sounding Bang when starting

Update. Replaced the battery still having the symptom.

Narrowed it down to starter so last week pull exhaust, oil tank, primary cover then removed starter. Replaced the starter clutch with all ***** clutch put everything back together and all is well. Starts great no bang.

Solution was to replace the bad starter clutch. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Update. Replaced the battery still having the symptom.

Narrowed it down to starter so last week pull exhaust, oil tank, primary cover then removed starter. Replaced the starter clutch with all ***** clutch put everything back together and all is well. Starts great no bang.

Solution was to replace the bad starter clutch. Hope this helps someone else.
I was going to suggest the starter. My Neighbor just bought an 09 Fat Bob that was doing the same thing. He had his battery tested and it was good. They too narrowed it down to the starter. Had his starter changed and now it cranks over like it should. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:40 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm still having this issue as well, but..... I've found if I bump the starter or push the bike in gear to bring the Pistons up on compression stroke, it starts up without a bang. My bike is a strong runner so I'm thinking it has a cam in it or a big bore kit.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Default Metallic sounding Bang when starting

Same here. I could bump it or roll. Was even thinking of adding compression releases. My bike has the big bore kit. I tried all kinds of things until I finally realized it had to be the starter. Spent the time to replace the sprague clutch and bike always starts right up no noise.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah.. So far bringing the Pistons up on compression works real well, it hasn't kicked back at all. I hope it will last a while with me starting it up this way as I don't want to have to go tearing out the starter yet. I guess we shall see.😁

Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

My wife has an 08 Softail and the 2 things that ever gave us trouble were the starter clutch and the compensator..We experienced all of the symptoms y,all described...

Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Dangermouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same issues. Removed compensator, bad spring, replaced unit. Same problem. Replaced battery and checked cables, same problem. It acts like it gets to the top of the compression stroke and hesitates then takes back of after a short pause. About half of the time it makes a terrible grinding noise like the starter kicked out and re-engaged.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dangermouse
I have been having the same issues. Removed compensator, bad spring, replaced unit. Same problem. Replaced battery and checked cables, same problem. It acts like it gets to the top of the compression stroke and hesitates then takes back of after a short pause. About half of the time it makes a terrible grinding noise like the starter kicked out and re-engaged.
Sounds very similar to what I was experiencing. I started with the compensator, then the battery, then adjusted the timing and was contemplating compression releases when I finally went ahead and pulled the starter. I would strongly suggest replacing the starter clutch. Bit if a pain to do but just takes a little time. Wish I had started there instead. Hope that solves your problem.

Quick Reply: Metallic sounding Bang when starting