Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well does the Breakout corner???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How well does the Breakout corner???

I see that the lean angle on this bike SUCKS but it's a beautiful bike and has been high on my want list for a while now. I'm curious how well this bike corners on the HWY...like VERY curvy mountain roads??? Are there any issues with laying her over into corners at high speeds...or is it more of a low speed SHARP cornering around town problem???

I'm curious how well this bike handles being ridden hard??? I'd really like to hear from some of you that live/ride in mountainous areas. I appreciate any feedback I can get. If I end up buying one, I'll probably buy a CVO version and that's a lot of money to sink into a bike that isn't going to suit my riding style. Thanks in advance for any feedback I can get.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You would probably be better off getting this

Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

if you are that HARD of a rider, test ride one. It will be obvious if you know what you are looking for.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks are not very important to the people passing you in a roundabout.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes the lean angle sucks. I removed the feelers from the stock pegs and its better but still easy to drag the pegs. I came from a street bike and corners was really what I loved about riding it so I was disappointed when making the switch. Other than that the bike is very fun to ride and once you get used to it, it can be ridden pretty hard, has good power, and you can rev it out a few gears and not be running 100 mph like a street bike.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Fiveinch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came off a GSX-R...I just dragged the brake lever on the BO the other day. The bike demands slower turns than you're accustomed to, but it can still be ridden harder than many people ride their cruisers (ensure your suspension is at for you; just like your sport bike). I'd leave the feelers in place (they'll just wear out eventually anyway) as they'll aid in teaching how to corner this Hog. When they're gone, replace em with something that will put on one hell of a light show in the corners!

But just not in the mountains, please! Only YOU can prevent forest fires!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

It handles fine, but as others have said, very limited cornering clearance.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good feedback. I appreciate it. It usually takes a couple of weeks riding a bike to really get to know it and there is no dealer in the area I like to ride. The only way to get good info is from the folks who ride them and have gotten to know their bikes. Again, I appreciate the responses!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 AM
mseymour3
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Breakout. Less cornering than some other bikes? Yes. Do I care? Not really. I bought it to be a cruiser and that's how I ride it the majority of the time. I've scraped feelers and then new pegs when I swapped pegs and loved every minute of it. It's not for everyone but this is the bike I was meant to own at least at this time in my life. As others have said try to find a dealer to test ride one and then you will have a better idea.

Michael

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd1113
Yes the lean angle sucks.
I take issue with that. Replace the pegs with ones that don't step down and the lean angle increases quite a bit. Let me put it this way... I lean mine so far over that I've flattened the end of my Bassani ProSt Turnouts, and scraped the outer cover of my belt drive primary on the other side. So, yes, you can get a lot more lean angle out of a Breakout with a few small, cheap changes - the first being to Sh*tcan the original foot pegs.

Originally Posted by AAAC
Good feedback. I appreciate it. It usually takes a couple of weeks riding a bike to really get to know it and there is no dealer in the area I like to ride. The only way to get good info is from the folks who ride them and have gotten to know their bikes. Again, I appreciate the responses!
7K on mine, great handling once you understand it, to me it's a hoot to ride! It does need modes to improve it, but once you get to that sweet spot, it's nothing but "Ahhhhh's". I'm there now...

Attached Thumbnails How well does the Breakout corner???-img_0971.jpg  

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-10-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: How well does the Breakout corner???