Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a softail?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Touring on a softail?!

I rented an ultra limited and just dislike the size and seating position. I sat on a softail heritage and think that with a few parts it can be made to travel long distances just as well as the larger touring bikes. What do you guys think?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:54 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Upgrade front and rear suspension and it is an incredible long distance ride. If necessary, change bars and seat for comfort and better fit.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 AM
HockeyCoach
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey Drew
I rented an ultra limited and just dislike the size and seating position. I sat on a softail heritage and think that with a few parts it can be made to travel long distances just as well as the larger touring bikes. What do you guys think?
My wife rented a 2015 Heritage Softail Classic for a four-day trip she and I took last weekend and found it very comfortable. I rode it some too and thought it was comfortable also. Things I didn't like: no locking saddlebags, the head buffeting at freeway speed (Ultra Limited is MUCH better), the wobbling at high speed, the limited top speed and the 103B engine vibration around 4,000 RPM. You just got to take it a little easier on this bike.

The Ultra is much better handling bike to ride on a 75 mph freeway. To be fair, however, this heavy beast of a bike isn't much fun to maneuver in parking lot.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Hogin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems taking trips on my softtail. Just need to add a few comfort items. Lockable saddlebags, corbin seat, and a fairing.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by HockeyCoach
My wife rented a 2015 Heritage Softail Classic for a four-day trip she and I took last weekend and found it very comfortable. I rode it some too and thought it was comfortable also. Things I didn't like: no locking saddlebags, the head buffeting at freeway speed (Ultra Limited is MUCH better), the wobbling at high speed, the limited top speed and the 103B engine vibration around 4,000 RPM. You just got to take it a little easier on this bike.

The Ultra is much better handling bike to ride on a 75 mph freeway. To be fair, however, this heavy beast of a bike isn't much fun to maneuver in parking lot.
Coach is right about much of what he stated however a lot of the negatives can be mitigated.

1) no locking saddlebags-
a locking kit is available but I haven't had anyone steal anything yet.

2) head buffeting at freeway speed- a taller windshield eliminates this (I have a 20" Klockwerks Billboard Flare shield that I install for longer rides and I get no buffering)

3) wobbling at high speed-
I'm not sure what this relates too. At 80 mph my Heritage is smooth.
Of course being somewhat lighter it does move around when being passed by semis.

4) limited top speed-
I'm not sure how fast you want to go.
My Heritage has at least a top speed of 100 mph.
I'm not sure why anyone needs to go faster than that.

5) 103B engine vibration around 4,000 RPM- I suppose there is a vibration but at 4000 RPMs I'm running better than 80 mph and I rarely travel for any length of time above 75.

At the end of the day the Heritage is not a touring bike but a softail that has touring capabilities.
Add some Progressive 422 RAP Shocks, taller windshield, a tour pak and some tunes and the Heritage goes down the highway just fine.

That being said if better than 50% of your riding is touring; buy a touring bike.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-09-2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,787 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I throw some saddlebags on, a rollbag on rack, and a quick detach windshield. I haven't done a LOT of touring with this set-up, but it works great. I would love a Road Glide, but til I become rich and famous, My Softail will have to do.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've done week long trips over 2,000 miles on mine without issues. though i could use a better seat.. but i've done the rear shocks (422's), front suspension (racetech gold valve emulators), and put some ape hangers on..that's all.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM
pipeyeti
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did 2500 mile round trip Chicago to Texas and back. Had a great time. Windshield,fangs,shotgun shock,heritage springer seat with gel insert all made for a very enjoyable trip. I will have a touring bike maybe next year but in the meantime my deluxe is great. When I get the touring bike I will still keep the deluxe as I also kept my sportster when I got the deluxe. I will never recoup anywhere near what I put into them making them my own so why sell. My only problem right now is do I go HD, Indian or Victory for a tourer. Have to say the Victory Magnum is looking pretty good.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Upnorth433
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually went backwards from a touring bike from another brand to a Heritage. I love the lighter feeling and handling but you do get blown around more. Most I would likely ride is 300-400 miles a day and I don't have any problems on this bike.

I ride 2 up but only about 40% of the time or less. If I were riding 2 up more I would have considered a road king, the air shocks make it nice to balance out the suspension with 2 people. Mine feels a little wallowy with my wife and I on it.

I would guess aftermarket suspension and maybe a nicer seat (I've been pretty happy with the stock one though) this thing would be as comfortable as anything else. I did notice a little more vibration like was stated at 4000 rpm but I never ride on the e-way that fast so it's not an issue for me.

As of right now my next bike will likely be another Heritage in a few years, only because I wouldn't mind the 103 motor over my 96. They are fantastic bikes.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,421 Likes on 4,023 Posts

I have a '12 Ultra and an '03 Heritage. I like the Ultra better for long hours in the saddle, and it is the bike I choose for long or multi-day trips. After a while you won't notice the size, and the more upright seating position is supposed to be more comfortable on long hauls

...... BUT ......

Prior to buying the bagger, I've done several trips (400-500 miles/day) with the Heritage. My Heritage, OEM, was more than capable for for long trips.

I've always threatened to get a different seat, but haven't yet, and I finally got a shorter, recurve windshield. I don't like looking through the windshield. I never noticed the "B" motor buzz, until I spent some time on the bagger. I now notice it, but don't consider it an issue.

While I prefer the Ultra, if the Heritage fits you better (feel, seat position, etc), it will ultimately be better for you on the long haul.....

Good luck with your decision....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Touring on a softail?!