Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 cvo springer engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:28 AM
PAULB63
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 cvo springer engine light

Hey all . Have my 2008 cvo Springer at the dealer for the last 2 weeks . Brought the bike in basically not running - starting then cutting out - running rough and rich when it would run . Speedo not working .
After many diagnostic trial and errors - voltage regulator - computor , and some other things , they finally replaced the VSS ( speed sensor ) .
After replacing that the bike fired right up - they test rode it , and told me that everything is now working , and the bike is running perfectly - problem is the check engine light was supposedly cleared , but keeps coming back on , and it stays on - but no codes .

They are saying that they now feel it could be the TPS , and are waiting ( over a week ) for that to come in to see if that does it .

I have heard/read that its possible to have to cycle the bike through as many as 50 times to clear the code - dealer says that's not it .
If the new TPS doesn't do the trick , I'm thinking of telling them that I want the bike back anyhow .What's the worst that could happen ???
Any input / suggestions much appreciated - thanks .

Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I`d find another dealer or repair shop. Good luck

Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 PM
PAULB63
Novice
Default Update

Just spoke to dealer - says problem found . Wires leading to MAP sensor were kinked/crimped , replaced harness . Engine light cleared .

Old 07-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Good news, but how did those wires get crimped? Worth knowing so that it doesn't happen again. It's unusual that wires would get crimped on a stock bike, the Moco works to prevent that from happening.

Doesn't make sense that there was no code, a broken sensor wire would set a code, and if the light is on, there IS a code in the computer - not all codes set a CEL but all CEL's are caused by a code.

I guess you can't call them liars but sounds like you got some bad service. I don't like to say negative things about a shop but something doesn't sound right here. I hope you don't have to pay for the new voltage regulator, computer, etc.

For your info, here's how to check the codes and what they are. The dealer will have a much better code reader/computer but this works for the end user and you can check if you have further problems.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...tic-codes.html

Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 AM
PAULB63
Novice

Thanks , I wondered about that myself - no codes and such . Bike is warrantied , so I only had to lay out $50 .
I'll look at that link you sent - thanks

Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Phew!

I think I'd look for a new dealer.

Did they explain how the wires got pinched? That's unusual. At my dealer I talk right to the guy fixing it, in fact, he had me come back to the shop to show me some stuff when he was adjusting my springer fork (which needs to be done every 10,000 miles by the way). If you decide to do it yourself I can send you a link with instructions and a video.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM
PAULB63
Novice

No , they didn't explain to me how the wires got crimped .
The bike has 5450 miles on it , so I probably wont need a front end adjustment just yet , but I will look at that link , cause if I can , I'd rather do it myself .

Thanks !

Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

At 4500 you don't need to do it, particularly if the front end feels normal and there's no wobble at speed.

When the time comes, there are two specialty tools that make the job easier. I'll be happy to loan you mine if you pay for shipping. They are just sitting in my box.