Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 breakout...time to mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 AM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the wheels off last night. Taking them in after work to get my new 880's put on. Also put on the softail lowering kit. Dropped it 1.5". I'll get pics up as soon as it's back together.
Name:  image_zpshlpsm1bp.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  164.3 KBName:  image_zpsymhfqvo6.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  108.7 KB

Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM
fake
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
Got the wheels off last night. Taking them in after work to get my new 880's put on. Also put on the softail lowering kit. Dropped it 1.5". I'll get pics up as soon as it's back together.

Let me know how you like the 1.5 drop. I'm to cheap to pay for shocks right now (saving for a larger house). The Softail drop kit is cheap and easy to install but I hear mixed reviews on it.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
drpete
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hurry up and mount those tires and post pics. I am dying here. Really thinking of just pitching the stock tires and going metz but there is always something else that ends up getting done

Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
Cool man!! what lowering kit did you use? are you dropping the front?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fake
Let me know how you like the 1.5 drop. I'm to cheap to pay for shocks right now (saving for a larger house). The Softail drop kit is cheap and easy to install but I hear mixed reviews on it.
I'll report back after I put some miles on it if it will stay on or get yanked off because of the rough ride.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drpete
Hurry up and mount those tires and post pics. I am dying here. Really thinking of just pitching the stock tires and going metz but there is always something else that ends up getting done
I'm close to putting pics up. Having a dumb moment of how to align the axle and adjust drive belt. Any of you guys replace your rear wheel and put it back on?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

Ok. So I got my tires and lowering kit on. Want to give a shout out to l.a. dog for helping me out with the questions I had on my axle alignment. Appreciate your help man. First let me say, why the f#%k did I wait to get these tires on?! My bike literally feels like it lost 200 lbs while flipping it around side to side. I was expecting an improved feel and ride from the stockers because of all the praise and reviews on here about the Metz. But damn, I wasn't expecting this much. Entirely different feel in the corners now. Two thumbs up in my book! Got the 260 rear and 120/70-21 front. So I don't know which one of the tires resulted in the huge handling improvement but coupled together it's an absolute home run. Took some measurements of stock tire mounted on rim and new Metz mounted on rim. Metzeler ended up being 5/16" wider mounted on rim. After installed, I ended up with 1/4" gap between the drive belt and edge of tire. So no issues there. I highly encourage anybody that has a breakout and running stocker tires, do yourself a solid and get them tires upgraded NOW. I also got my lowering kit on. Dropped rear 1.5". Love the looks of it a lot more now and haven't experienced any bottoming out yet or a rougher ride. Rides about the same as before just a bit lower now. I haven't pushed it hard on any high speed corners yet so I can't say they are a sure thing yet but they were cheap and easy to reverse if need be. But as a whole, I'm really happy I did the tires and dropped the rear.
Name:  image_zpsflcuzuhj.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  196.0 KB
Name:  image_zpsyocdpmf3.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  260.6 KB
Name:  image_zps4mkiglfn.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  204.9 KB
Name:  image_zpsaevxrwq9.jpeg
Views: 238
Size:  178.5 KB
Name:  image_zpsxvqflaew.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  115.5 KB
Name:  image_zpsnlvjfvo8.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  103.8 KB

Old 05-07-2016, 11:13 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Hate to say I told ya so.....but. LOL..... I know the front helps too....but I've only done the back on my BO and the difference was amazing, so I'm sure that's a big part of the improvement you feel...and thanks for the tire source tip!!! I ordered the same set for the Rocker, (just waiting on the wheels) and those are the best prices right now!! Gotta love the Metzelers!!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 05-07-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Yeh we all gonna go "told ya" - hah. Anyway congrats on getting that done, bike looks great with the drop and new meats. You don't really understand how **** the stock tires are until you put on a set of CORRECT tires, both in compound and aspect ratio. It's not too often that stock OE tires on a particular bike model are so terrible.

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Hate to say I told ya so.....but. LOL..... I know the front helps too....but I've only done the back on my BO and the difference was amazing, so I'm sure that's a big part of the improvement you feel...and thanks for the tire source tip!!! I ordered the same set for the Rocker, (just waiting on the wheels) and those are the best prices right now!! Gotta love the Metzelers!!!
Dude! get that 130/60 off the front and do the 120/70. that is really the main player in helping your turn in, line holding and handling. you'll notice the difference straight off. if you bring the wheel to HD with the new tire it should only cost about $20-$25 to mount/balance.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-08-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Duke 13
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
You don't really understand how **** the stock tires are until you put on a set of CORRECT tires, both in compound and aspect ratio. It's not too often that stock OE tires on a particular bike model are so terrible.
I just traded my Yamaha Raider on the Breakout and I can tell you for a fact that the factory rear tire was the wrong one for it. If I remember correctly it was a Metz 210/40-18 and that tire not only wore out quickly, it's handling was terrible. Most who own the Raider are going with the Avon 240 in the rear and it's made a world of difference.

Last edited by Duke 13; 05-08-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 breakout...time to mod