Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Springer EFI Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 PM
sjstewart
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do either of these happen to contain the paint code that anybody might recognize, or should I just take it to the stealership and see if they can scan it? I decided I really like this color, and so did the wife and kids when they saw it. Need the paint code so I can order up some paint.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:42 PM
G Dub
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Based on the production date, I'm thinking a 2006 color. Could be 6007 brandy wine sunglo.

Here's a site that may help. http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

Old 01-10-2016, 01:03 AM
sjstewart
Intermediate

Well, now that the holidays have come and gone, the first week back at work is over, here we are again. Things have been pretty mundane to say the least. A lot of cleaning, polishing, refurbishing, reminding myself this is a "Resurrection" and not a restoration.

I also find myself saving more money on stuff I won't actually need because a lot of it is serviceable and salvageable.

I have literally spent countless hours taking bolts, nuts, parts etc., to the wire wheel and then the buffer.

I got the Throttle Body and Intake finished and put together, with everything oriented the way it should be.

I took a shot at the rear brake line and brake switch. And I saved a bunch of money in doing so. It cleaned up great, I flushed the lines and everything came out nice and clean, no discoloration in what was left behind as far as brake fluid, no rust, nothing.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The rest of my efforts have literally been cleaning up bolts and junk...hours of it.

Going from Nasty Bolts like the one on the left, and making them look like the one on the right...

All of these were absolutely nasty, got them looking almost new.

I did take the rear taillight apart, straightened out the cork gaskets, cleaned it up and put it back together. It needs the "correct" bulb in it. No wonder it didn't work. But given the rest of the mess left behind by the previous owner, I'm not surprised at all. I also cleaned up the mounting/license plate bracket, deburred a bunch of stuff, smoothed the rough and sharp edges off of it and polished it up a bit.

Back to more cleaning and polishing this week. I'm also going to check in with our "Vocational School" through our Educational Service District that services the school district I work for, and talk to the Collision Repair Program folks and see what it will take to get my rear fender stripped and painted, along with a raw front fender, to match my tank!!! A couple of my students are in the program, so hopefully it's a go...

Last edited by sjstewart; 01-10-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Katienadine
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks awesome... Good Work with the elbow grease.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:05 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks Great! Can't wait to see it when it's all cleaned up.

Hey on those pulley bolts they are a "one time" use thing. Once you take em out you gotta get new ones.

I was stubborn and I re-used them on my wife's Dyna. BIG mistake. I had the correct torque, lock-tight ect. Kept checking them like I was suppose to, and lo and behold, the bolts sheared off and shredded the rear wheel. Broke the rear belt, destroyed the belt guard!

I had to pull the primary to get a new belt on there, buy a new wheel, new rear pulley, ect ect.

Anyways.... found out later that once they are backed out, they are throw away!

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:16 AM
sjstewart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imboden
Looks Great! Can't wait to see it when it's all cleaned up.

Hey on those pulley bolts they are a "one time" use thing. Once you take em out you gotta get new ones.

I was stubborn and I re-used them on my wife's Dyna. BIG mistake. I had the correct torque, lock-tight ect. Kept checking them like I was suppose to, and lo and behold, the bolts sheared off and shredded the rear wheel. Broke the rear belt, destroyed the belt guard!

I had to pull the primary to get a new belt on there, buy a new wheel, new rear pulley, ect ect.

Anyways.... found out later that once they are backed out, they are throw away!

Good luck!
That's good to know! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 PM
sjstewart
Intermediate

Well, it's been about 4 months, I've been gone for awhile, the resurrection got stalled a bit more than I had anticipated, but, we're back on track.

We got the paperwork issues worked out, took until mid March or so to see a registration and plates, another week or so to finally get the titles on my dad and I's bikes. They were both "Salvage Titles" and it turns out, the bikes originated out of Oregon. So it had to go through the inspection process here, then the process to release the bikes from Oregon, then get titles here in Washington. RED TAPE.

I refused to sink another dime more than what I already had until there was paper in hand. Of course the money dried up for other "non-Harley" reasons, and the circle went round and round.

But I started ordering parts; oil lines and connectors, voltage regulator, fuel filter kit, fuel pump door gasket and, "pulley bolts" (thanks imboden). Will be ordering the air filter kit soon (S&S Tear Drop), the rear wheel and tire and some other stuff.

I think I finally have the front end situation figured out. And I'll tell ya', my old man and I have gone round and round on that one. I couldn't tell you why, but I was pretty set on a Wide Glide, he had other ideas, I told him he had his own bike and he could do what he wanted to that one, and he dropped the bomb about how he paid for both of them and wanted to flip them.

Nearly ended the whole thing right there. A couple weeks later he showed up for my birthday and handed me the signed title and said "We'll get them done when we get them done." Thanks Dad!

So after round after round about the front end, and him changing his mind on what he wanted to do on his, the 16 over front end is going on mine. But we're shortening the tubes. However, because this is a custom front end, one of the problems in doing that is the tops of the tubes are threaded and screw in to the top clamp. So we're thinking they are going to have to go to a machine shop, get cut and threaded.

I am getting back on track, pictures and updates will be coming soon!!!

Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 408 Posts

"I am getting back on track, pictures and updates will be coming soon!"
It's been since 05-09-2016. I wonder if he ever got this on the road? I could not tell if it started out as a springer or not?