Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter won't crank, 2011 Fatboy, after low battery start attempt and new battery install.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter won't crank, 2011 Fatboy, after low battery start attempt and new battery install.

So I go to start after the bikes been on a battery tender for a few months. I turn the key on and all the dash lights are going nuts, I try the start button and it gets worse, so I immediately suspect battery, I check battery and get 12.3v, so I try again, same result. So I clean all connections including the starter, which none are noticeable dirty. I try again same result, dash lights going off and on like a bad connection. I remove the battery to put on a real charger and I remove the battery top caps and notice battery is bone dry and one of the cells is a burn mark. I'm thinking the tender fried my battery for some reason, maybe cause it was on a 50ft extension cord. So I buy a new lithium battery, very light weight, and install it, I go to start and everything looks normal as far as dash lights and such, turn key on and fuel pump runs, hit start switch and head lights go dim, fuel pump stops and nothing, not even a solenoid click, release button and fuel pump runs for a few seconds and nothing, could I have fried a computer or starter trying to start with the bad battery or ??? What do ya'll think.

Last edited by Fierofly; 03-13-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What's the voltage on the new batt? I have bought dead batteries before that needed to be charged
Up. Then they were gtg.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Lithium 13.2v

Old 03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

What about your fob battery? That's might be he culprit.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Changed it also

Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like that solenoid stuck doesn't it... Starter..
Isn't there a way to smack it and see?.
I know zero and that's my guess..

Old 03-13-2016, 08:12 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fierofly
So I go to start after the bikes been on a battery tender for a few months. I turn the key on and all the dash lights are going nuts, I try the start button and it gets worse, so I immediately suspect battery, I check battery and get 12.3v, so I try again, same result. So I clean all connections including the starter, which none are noticeable dirty. I try again same result, dash lights going off and on like a bad connection. I remove the battery to put on a real charger and I remove the battery top caps and notice battery is bone dry and one of the cells is a burn mark.
Didn't you have a motorcycle AGM battery installed?
I'm thinking the tender fried my battery for some reason, maybe cause it was on a 50ft extension cord.
The extension cord makes do difference - the tender regulates the DC voltage of the battery.
So I buy a new lithium battery, very light weight, and install it, I go to start and everything looks normal as far as dash lights and such, turn key on and fuel pump runs, hit start switch and head lights go dim, fuel pump stops and nothing, not even a solenoid click, release button and fuel pump runs for a few seconds and nothing, could I have fried a computer or starter trying to start with the bad battery or ??? What do ya'll think.
What lithium battery did you get, and did you get a charger with it?

Old 03-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,299 Likes on 5,421 Posts

Put bike in neutral...take a jumper wire and jump the solenoid (big wire to little wire). If it doesn't crank over, you have a battery/wiring/starter issue... as this eliminates all computer/security system issues.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Didn't you have a motorcycle AGM battery installed? Had a cheap Walmart installed. Also after I'd attempt a start the battery voltage would drop to 10v. Then return to 12v shortly after.

The extension cord makes do difference - the tender regulates the DC voltage of the battery.

What lithium battery did you get, and did you get a charger with it?
Not sure of brand will have to look, supposed to be the best from batteries plus. $200

Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Fierofly
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Put bike in neutral...take a jumper wire and jump the solenoid (big wire to little wire). If it doesn't crank over, you have a battery/wiring/starter issue... as this eliminates all computer/security system issues.

Not sure, but can't really find an external solenoid, thinking the 2011 is different. The battery pos. hooks up directly to the starter with no other visible wires. I'm gonna have to remove the oil tank to get a better look

Quick Reply: Starter won't crank, 2011 Fatboy, after low battery start attempt and new battery install.