Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does a revtec 100 in use same oil filter as harley engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default does a revtec 100 in use same oil filter as harley engines?

i have my buddy's 06 softail custom in my garage and have ridden it quite a bit and want to change the fluids. obviously i don't have any manuals for it. has an open primary so no fluid needed there. and has i believe a 6 speed baker trans so i just need to change the trans and oil with filter.

any input?

Old 05-04-2016, 06:29 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

As you can tell by the numerous oil threads and the even more numerous posts those threads collect, the subject of oil is extremely personal with a lot of people.

I think I'd be checking with my friend and see what fluids and filter he wants used in his bike. This would be a lot better than having him later screaming "YOU PUT THAT **** IN MY ENGINE?"

Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

While you input is aprecisted you did not read the question nor did you answer what i am lioking for.

Deos the revtech 100 use the same oil filter as a YC harley? Phisically the same part number. Then i went on to sort of ask about capacities. NEVER did i ask the which oil question.

Also you have terrible friends if they scream at you for being thoughtful and helpful.

Last edited by Jersey Drew; 05-04-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 AM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

I use an evo oil filter on my 2002 rev tech 100", gen 2 high compression. Different filter micron rating than TC engine. TC filters too restrictive for EVO design. Stick with dino oil, had leaks when I tried synthetic. Custom chrome is the distributor for rev tech, check their catalog.
http://www.customchrome.com/catalog/...evtech&x=0&y=0

For the transmission, call Baker or check their website.

MDM might have the best idea, see what the owner has been using........

Last edited by billib1954; 05-04-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like you didn't read your own post.

You didn't say anything about capacities.

I have no idea about the filter question so I made no response to that question.

You did ask for "any input?" I did respond to this question.

My friends don't scream at me, but then I don't ride their bikes or perform maintenance/services on them. Lighten up and recognize my comment for what it is. Humor, sarcasm, exaggeration,...

What is a "YC"?

You might look up the filters listed for the two engines and compare what you find.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

I have a few friends that I would let ride my bike.I have less friends that I would let WORK on my bike. Give your buddy the cash and let him change his own oil. You're welcome for my input.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,422 Likes on 4,024 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I have a few friends that I would let ride my bike.I have less friends that I would let WORK on my bike. Give your buddy the cash and let him change his own oil. You're welcome for my input.
That's pretty good advice, unless you've he said OK....

I have a very small circle of friends that I would let take one of my bikes..... As much as I trust them with riding the bike, I would be a little po'd if they did any work on the bike without my permission... Whether they did the work or took it to a shop....

Just food for thought.....

Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

If the on the bike oil filter can not be identified then you might wish to consider contacting Revtech or their dealer.
A twin cam filter would be restrictive in an EVO motor and could present harm to the motor.
While a twin cam filter will fit an evo unit it should not be used in an EVO motor.
Transmission and motor oil capacity should not present a challenge if they have a dip stick.
If it has a Baker transmission then contact Baker.
I would second the suggestion of contacting the owner of the bike.
Some owners are rather selective of their oil and filter choice.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mdm
Looks like you didn't read your own post.

You didn't say anything about capacities.

I have no idea about the filter question so I made no response to that question.

You did ask for "any input?" I did respond to this question.

My friends don't scream at me, but then I don't ride their bikes or perform maintenance/services on them. Lighten up and recognize my comment for what it is. Humor, sarcasm, exaggeration,...

What is a "YC"?

You might look up the filters listed for the two engines and compare what you find.
YC is my POS phone auto correct. it was meant to say TC for Twin Cam.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hattitude
That's pretty good advice, unless you've he said OK....

I have a very small circle of friends that I would let take one of my bikes..... As much as I trust them with riding the bike, I would be a little po'd if they did any work on the bike without my permission... Whether they did the work or took it to a shop....

Just food for thought.....
my friends and i all ride each others bike regularly. and i maintain all of them. this is a tangent that is irrelevant.

if i were to have purchased this bike on my own i would be looking for the same info. this can't be that difficult to find out.

i am going to have to use the dipsticks to figure out capacities, i realize that now. so all i really need is to know what oil filter to use. this can't be that difficult to figure out. and i have asked him about the bike he has no clue as he got it used.

Quick Reply: does a revtec 100 in use same oil filter as harley engines?