Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom/Aftermarket Tanks? Whose got Em?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Hellbilly07
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Custom/Aftermarket Tanks? Whose got Em?

I've been workin on my bike for a few months now and swapping tanks was one of the major changes I wanted. Dead set on a dished Indian Larry tank but haven't gotten there yet. One of the biggest curiosities I have is about mileage and such. What kind of miles are you guys getting on your custom/Aftermarket Tanks and...(of course) pics plz.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM
MacSmacky
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanna see, too. Subscribed.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Hellbilly07
Tourer

Look yall...I know this thread ain't been up long but, with all the bitchin' kool *** bikes I've seen yall throwin pics up of, ain't no way yall can't produce me somethin awesome lol. Come on with it. I know yall got em. And for the smartass I know will say somethin...I did a search - slim pickin

Old 10-05-2016, 01:30 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Whats a dished Indian Larry tank? 3 gallons? You'd probably get somewhere near 100 miles.

I'm guessing you have an 07. you'd have to figure out the fuel pump assembly.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Hellbilly07
Tourer

You can actually get a dished tank all the way to 5 gallons. They come in 3, 4.5 and 5. 5 would obviously get you the furthest but wouldn't look right on a slammed chopper. I'd like a 3 gallon but I ride everywhere and stopping every 100 Miles wouldn't be all that. Sacrifice comfort for style though I guess.

You mentioned the fuel pump. I've heard of guys running a sportster pump but does will it handle a pretty radical big twin? I know jack crap about Sportsters so no harm intended for those that ride em lol

Old 10-06-2016, 08:34 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about switching to carb and being able to use whatever tank you find? I have been toying with the idea myself.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Hellbilly07
Tourer

Brother I'd love to...believe me. Just think, a bike is so much sexier when there's not a **** load of wiring EVERYWHERE. It would also cost a decent amount that I don't when I'd get to do it. Carb, Stand Alone Ignition etc. Also, the ability to tune and repair out on the road with a screwdriver lol versus a laptop. My bike is hopped up pretty good so the fuel injection does benefit when ur pushin it on pump gas. Anyway - if you ever do it...don't forget me lol. I'm electronically illiterate and hate ALL wiring

Old 10-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

While you can put the peacock at the rear of the tank and Frisco mount it to get every last drop with a carby setup, efi is more efficient. So you kinda want the base of the tank close to level if you're concerned about fuel.

The sportster efi pump is the go as they are narrow, and you can buy the efi plate mount and weld it in the bottom of the tank if none of the Indian larry tanks come setup for efi pumps. The sportster pump pumps the same psi as the softail pumps, so no shortage of fuel. Infact it will handle whatever the softail pumps handle. Mine might make around the 120hp mark with the shitty drag pipe, and I can tell you from experience there is no definitely no problem with that pump keeping up.

Mileage, well depends on how much motor work for starters. I installed a peanut tank that after the retunnel job for the big dyna back bone probably holds around 3g at most. He had a SE stage 4 103, and that big 58mm just guzzles the fuel. Still he will get a 100 miles out of the tank if he isn't hammering it.

You already know the bike but he's some pics for the thread with various sportster tanks on efi and carb softails.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll also point out a number of compmays, like Mooneyes, make 1ltre emergency tanks that clip onto your frame in a number of places, if you accidentally run out, there's back up to get you to a station. Sitting steady on the highway in overdrive with efi, I think you'd get 150 miles out of a 3 gallon on a mild 96/103 setup. For those long trips, a backpack with a 20L Jerry can haha

Old 10-08-2016, 10:21 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a knock off wcc tank that's made for a stretched frame and trimmed it down to fit. It was 4.1 gallon and its prob 4 now. Custom/Aftermarket Tanks? Whose got Em?-photo312.jpgCustom/Aftermarket Tanks? Whose got Em?-photo666.jpg

It's not done yet, gonna finish it this winter didn't want to be down and out

Quick Reply: Custom/Aftermarket Tanks? Whose got Em?