Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Input From Softail Owners w/V&H Quiet Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Seeking Input From Softail Owners w/V&H Quiet Baffles

Greetings all,

Purchased a '16 Fatboy last month. During the past month, I realized I absolutely love the Fatboy, evidenced by the fact this is my third Fatboy. This one will be a keeper.

I farkled it up a bit to provide me a comfortable platform, when traveling long distances. The stock seat is perfect! I regret buying the HD seat with rider backrest, lol. The stock seat rules. Super comfy. Best stock seat in HD's stable.

I initially had the dealer install the Stage 1, with the stock pipes. The bike's performance was very satisfying, considering the relatively low price for the Stage 1 upgrade.

Within a week I installed V&H Straight Shots slip-ons with the V&H FP3 tuner. I immediately thought the slip-ons were a bit too loud. I also noticed some considerable torque loss, especially down low.

As such, does anyone have any experience with the V&H Quiet Baffles? This should provide more low end torque with the right amount of noise.

I contacted DK Customs (I've done business w/them b/4 - excellent customer service & products) considering their TTIs, but theses slip-ons were a bioatch to install, and I don't want to remove my slip-ons and have to pay a tech to install them again. Adding TTIs will require removing my heat shields, the slip-ons and would require drilling the heat shields and the pipes. Don't wanna do this.

So, Quiet Baffles it is - provided this is an easy install mod! Can anyone advise? How is the sound? Is it too quiet?

TIA,

B

Last edited by Benito; 10-13-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Paul Dennis
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi I have a Breakout and I changed the exhaust on mine, i purchased the V&H big shots and I also thought they were just a bit to loud, so i opted for the quite baffles, I believe the difference is around 5DB quiter but a lot nicer deeper sound and most certainly can feel the difference in torque gain. Oh and its a easy job to change them, one small allen key on the back of the exhaust pair of long nose pliers to pull the loud one out, slide the quite one in tighten it up and jobs a goodun.

Last edited by Paul Dennis; 10-13-2016 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:34 PM
PurpleShark
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Just installed quiet baffles a few days ago on my 04 FXSTI. It did have a bit of a pop on deceleration & perhaps that has now been reduced. The noice still seems as loud but not as anti-social... perhaps a little deeper sound. I've not noticed any changes in power or torque. Quiet though, they ain't!

Mine were fitted in V&H straight shots and had to remove the heat shields. I loosened the clamps & mountings but left everything else in place. Whole job took about 30mins & I'm no expert!

Hope this helps!

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:24 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After installing V&H quiet baffles on my Fatboy I jettisoned the the Big Shots all together. What V&H calls quiet baffles are anything but. What I couldn't live with was a loss of power and the deceleration pop was no better (S&S air filter w/stage one download). To me the V&H sound farty and just not for me.
I reinstalled the stock system with Screaming Eagle slip ons. Better performance and better sound, to my ears.

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 3,819 Posts

They are a garbage plugs. Way better with original exhaust then them. When you get them, you will see what I mean. I had the open exhaust with the swirled baffles. Way too loud for me and I also came home from work at 12:30 AM. I tried the quite baffles. JUNK. I went back to a takeoff TC96 and had better bottom in and top end.

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

"Quiet" is misleading.
They're not much quieter, on my BigShots they only claim a reduction of about 3dB.
They are a deeper sound though...

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 10:31 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
"Quiet" is misleading.
They're not much quieter, on my BigShots they only claim a reduction of about 3dB.
They are a deeper sound though...
Yea. I agree with that. The quiet baffles did change the tone for the better; a little deeper. Not quieter.

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:57 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have given up on V&H for Softails after trying their slip ons and then Big Shots. They sound too sharp and tinny to my ears. The quiet baffles helped some, but in the end I ditched them.

I run stock headers with Rush slip ons on my FB. No Stage 1 either. Sounds great and I highly recommend this setup. Nice deep Harley tone -- and you can select the baffle size depending on how loud you want it. No popping or gurgling or torque loss either.

I do like the larger V&H mufflers on baggers but for your FB, I would give Rush a try.

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I basically agree with most of what has been said. I have python throwbacks made by V&H. The quiet baffles did take some of the sharper noises out of the exhaust and gave it a little deeper tone, so it was probably a little better for my neighbors, but it wasn't really much quieter overall. I pulled them out and put the stock baffles back in.. If it's gonna be loud, might as well use the baffles that sound better to me.

Benito (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Pete3323
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got V&H true duals on my heritage with the quiet baffles. I think they're perfect. Not obnoxious and not too soft.

Benito (10-15-2016)

Quick Reply: Seeking Input From Softail Owners w/V&H Quiet Baffles