Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Project Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:33 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

did you see this? Looks like the fender is on some kind of rocker links?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 AM
dennisgb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! The paint alone was $5K! You can barely buy a Sportster for $6K. This bike has only 3800 miles on it and is in perfect condition.

Your really hung up on that fender. Hell the buyer can take the damn thing off if he doesn't like it. I mounted it the way it should be according to Harley so it would be safe.

The front is not compressed with the straps on. The guy made some offset brackets to move the fender down.

The reason the fender moves differently is pretty simple. Rockers are normal Harley springer. The axle is further forward than the front fork tubes. The pivot is at the back forks. The axel rises faster than the front fork under compression. That's why the newer Harley springers mount the fender to the brake bracket because it is fixed to the axel. I knew nothing about springers when I bought this bike, but a little research told the story.

The picture you posted above is the newer style fender mounting. I am aware of this and mentioned it in my previous posts. The fork I have is the early style. It doesn't have the proper mounting points for that fender. It could be modified to fit but would likely look like crap. Plus it would cost a pretty penny to match the paint.

Last edited by dennisgb; 02-27-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 AM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Wow! The paint alone was $5K! You can barely buy a Sportster for $6K. This bike has only 3800 miles on it and is in perfect condition.

Your really hung up on that fender. Hell the buyer can take the damn thing off if he doesn't like it. I mounted it the way it should be according to Harley so it would be safe.

The front is not compressed with the straps on. The guy made some offset brackets to move the fender down.

The reason the fender moves differently is pretty simple. Rockers are normal Harley springer. The axle is further forward than the front fork tubes. The pivot is at the back forks. The axel rises faster than the front fork under compression. That's why the newer Harley springers mount the fender to the brake bracket because it is fixed to the axel. I knew nothing about springers when I bought this bike, but a little research told the story.

The picture you posted above is the newer style fender mounting. I am aware of this and mentioned it in my previous posts. The fork I have is the early style. It doesn't have the proper mounting points for that fender. It could be modified to fit but would likely look like crap. Plus it would cost a pretty penny to match the paint.
Sorry, just trying to help

Last edited by rquest; 02-28-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:01 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,323 Likes on 5,424 Posts

I wonder what this bike is worth? I know I got a good deal on it, really hard to figure out value by looking at other bikes for sale. Harley's seem to run all over the map price wise. Any thoughts on this?

Asking prices run all over the map...selling prices not so much.

Looking on ebay at sold ads will give you a good idea.

I am obsesed with springers right now...my house is going to be paid off this year and i plan to buy a nice one.

The only EVO springers that bring any money are heritage springers, and badboys...88-92 dirtbike springers are hard to sell..there is an all orignal 89 with 7868 miles on ebay for $9250 with no bites. Some one near me has had a nice 90 model on CL for a year for 6K with no bites. Good Luck

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-28-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 AM
dennisgb
Intermediate

I've looked at Ebay, Craigslist, KBB and there isn't much support for a $6500 value though.

KBB puts a much higher value on a springer softail over a standard softail. I don't follow that an 88CI has a lower value. It's an S&S EVO and these engines are still sold by multiple vendors and have a solid upgrade path.

The low mileage (3800) on this bike should also increase it's value in the market.

Yes prices are all over the map. Maybe there is a glut of used bikes that depresses prices but frankly, $6500 may be what "you" would pay for it, but that's not a very real assessment of value.

The main reason I asked this question is because I don't want to list the price too low. That is a red flag to buyers. "What's wrong with the bike that the price is so low".

I'm more confused now than I was before.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

I've looked at Ebay, Craigslist, KBB and there isn't much support for a $6500 value though.

The low mileage (3800) on this bike should also increase it's value in the market.

Look at what the last three 88-92 springers on ebay sold for

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycles/...p2045573.m1684

As far as the mileage...got any proof? Seems strange such a low mileage bike would have a new motor...anyone with a crescent wrench can change the mileage on an EVO

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM
dennisgb
Intermediate

Mileage is on the title and the odometer. Maybe forged but unlikely. Previous owner verified. I talked to the builder and he said the bike was not ridden much that's why he sold it.

The history path says the mileage is accurate so I can only go by that.

Thanks for the EBay link. If you average the selling prices it's still more than $6500. My original thought was because this bike is so nice it was worth more. It is show quality in person. I thought the springer added to value. What you guys are saying is that isn't the case which in my experience seems weird. I've bought and sold a lot of motorcycles and generally the higher the quality the higher the value...but...it's a tough one to get my arms around. Having little "Harley" experience makes it very difficult to know what is real and what is not. If it was a Norton or a Triumph I wouldn't be asking.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

I have a question...how is this thing titled? The more I look at it...plus the 88" S&S...plus the weird trans...the more I think this is an aftermarket "harley clone" bike that a dozen different companies made in the late 90's

Does the VIN start with 1HD?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 AM
dennisgb
Intermediate

That's basically what it is. It's titled as Special Construction. Frame is Paughco softail. Engine is S&S. I'm actually not positive it's an 88. I've tried to get info from S&S but they haven't responded. The springer is Harley. There are a lot of Harley parts on it. I've posted most of that here and in other threads.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM
rquest
Road Master

I was willing to let this go but you came back at me again. You remind me of someone who ask you opinion and then gets pissed off because it doesn't support your ideas. But the fact is you can get FULL BLOWN show bikes that have $50k invested in them for $10 everyday! What do you expect to get for this (forgive the phrase) bastard? My Train has a $3500 Heartland kit, 200 rear end, big ft wheel, paint, fuel injection, 6 speed, 11k miles, etc and I wouldn't expect to get more than $8k?
Point is, you got a great deal, embrace it!

Attached Thumbnails My Project Bike-desktop.jpg  

Last edited by rquest; 02-28-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: My Project Bike