Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender graphics to cover scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Nickybonez
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rear fender graphics to cover scratches

I'm currently getting some mods done to the bike and didn't realize that I have two deep scratches on the rear bobtail from the damn seat screw. I'm going to a solo seat and considered a rear bib however the scratches are further back.

Since I didn't budget a paint job I'm considering doing some kind of vinyl graphic along the back. This is an 06 night train with black pearl so have the matte black factory gas tank bib so I"m thinking maybe just running a matte black piece of vinyl down the rear?

Any photos or thoughts would be appreciated

Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

simple fix would be a single stripe covering the scratches. only issue i see is the hole for the seat screw will cause a recess in the vinyl. i suggest laying down the vinyl and placing a nice screw back in the hole.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Nickybonez
Novice

Yea that's pretty much what I was thinking and maybe doing a pinstripe outlining the graphic. I'm hoping for some photos fro some other ideas or graphics

It would be nice to match the rear to the gas tank but when I remove the bib the gas tank seam is underneath. This would be nice if I did the black line tank like you

Old 03-18-2017, 03:16 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Maybe a wrap of some sort that you see so many of on vehicles today. You can find decorative (for lack of better word) thumbscrews for the seat screw hole. I recently got one with an American flag on it to hold the rear fender bib on my RKC.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Nickybonez
Novice

Originally Posted by 2goldens
Maybe a wrap of some sort that you see so many of on vehicles today. You can find decorative (for lack of better word) thumbscrews for the seat screw hole. I recently got one with an American flag on it to hold the rear fender bib on my RKC.
I like the wrap option the only thing they said I need to remove the fender completely to do it

Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

fender is easy to remove. wrap option is nice cause if it gets damaged you can remove it and do it again for a lot cheaper than paint. vinyl does fade faster than paint so it is always a more temporary fix.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The prior owner scratched the **** outa the fender too from the seat screw on my Heritage. I was told by a body guy to overfill the scratch with vivid black, let it cure, then wet sand the fender until smooth. Seems logical to me but I added a chrome rear rack and it kinda hid the area which was OK for me.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
Nickybonez
Novice

Originally Posted by RedHogz
The prior owner scratched the **** outa the fender too from the seat screw on my Heritage. I was told by a body guy to overfill the scratch with vivid black, let it cure, then wet sand the fender until smooth. Seems logical to me but I added a chrome rear rack and it kinda hid the area which was OK for me.
I guess I was preparing for the worse I'll have to ask a body shop before assuming it can't be fixed without painting the entire fender

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 AM
Outdoor_funguy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickybonez
I'm currently getting some mods done to the bike and didn't realize that I have two deep scratches on the rear bobtail from the damn seat screw. I'm going to a solo seat and considered a rear bib however the scratches are further back.

Since I didn't budget a paint job I'm considering doing some kind of vinyl graphic along the back. This is an 06 night train with black pearl so have the matte black factory gas tank bib so I"m thinking maybe just running a matte black piece of vinyl down the rear?

Any photos or thoughts would be appreciated
If it's a vinyl wrap, contact Gatorwraps, they wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals. You might also want to check Gatorprints.