Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:45 AM
Javi20017
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?

I have a 03 fatboy and want to switch to a smoothie fuel gauge and cap. Who other than Harley makes them and what luck have you guys had with them. Thanks guys

Old 04-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

No one else make them. Theres a few off-brand smooth gas caps, but the quaility isnt there from what I’ve experienced, and that doesnt get you there for a big twin anyways. Pony up your Harley tax

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM
protocolgeorge
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had them on my 2010. Fatboy Lo since 2010, no issues and love the look.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saw the title to this thread and thought I'd take a minute to respond.

I've been looking for something too, and I'm afraid I can't say which setup is the "best", but I can certainly provide my less-than-impressed opinion on the HD flush-mount fuel cap and fuel gauge (Part# 62823-06C).

I just bought and received that kit this week, and its going back, post-haste! I've never seen such junk in my life! The stock setup on my Slim is vastly superior in weight, finish and overall quality, and given the problems widely reported with the flush-mount kit, I'd suggest staying far away from it (e.g., the finished chrome rings that are supposed to seat against the tank surface don't seat properly (not fully flush), the instructions on wiring the gauge are absolutely 'bleak' (its not a simple hook-up), and perhaps worst of all, the LEDs on the gauge are reportedly failing on people within days or weeks). For $210??? I think not!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had one on my 05 RK & now on my Slim S, never an issue.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Flamegirl
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the chrome kit on my 2011 Road King Classic and the black kit on my 2016 FLS S. I have not had any type of issue. Both work very well and look great. I think the one on my FLHRC has been on for at least 4 years without issue.

Attached Thumbnails Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?-img_1877.jpg  

Last edited by Flamegirl; 04-25-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM
25-06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flamegirl
I have the chrome kit on my 2011 Road King Classic and the black kit on my 2016 FLS S. I have not had any type of issue. Both work very well and look great. I think the one on my FLHRC has been on for at least 4 years without issue.
Two sets without issue!! Wow! That's awesome! Did you install them all yourself? Just curious.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:13 PM
25-06
Advanced

Originally Posted by 25-06
Two sets without issue!! Wow! That's awesome! Did you install them all yourself? Just curious.
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. The fact is, the flush-mount gas cap and fuel gauge kit is no different than the auxiliary light kits or lowering kits or turn signal and license plate relocation kits for the Slim . . . there's a HUGE difference between having your dealer install them and installing them yourself.

And as I said earlier, the instructions provided with the flush-mount kit were completely inadequate, particularly as it pertains to the electrical connections for the LED fuel gauge. You're left with bare wires on the LED gauge (no straight-forward plug-in connector), and zero guidance on how to actually make the connections from the gauge to the existing connector on the bike. Some people leave the job to their dealer, others who have nothing else to do fight through it via experimentation, and still others (like me) send the $210 lemon back from whence it came, because they have better things to do. Either way, its all good!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 730 Likes on 561 Posts

I use the Kuryakyn Informer series and it works well. It gives very accurate gas level readings and a reading on the 12V They also make a flush mount pop-up and some other versions. http://www.kuryakyn.com/category/61/tank-dash

Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Flamegirl
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25-06
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. The fact is, the flush-mount gas cap and fuel gauge kit is no different than the auxiliary light kits or lowering kits or turn signal and license plate relocation kits for the Slim . . . there's a HUGE difference between having your dealer install them and installing them yourself.

And as I said earlier, the instructions provided with the flush-mount kit were completely inadequate, particularly as it pertains to the electrical connections for the LED fuel gauge. You're left with bare wires on the LED gauge (no straight-forward plug-in connector), and zero guidance on how to actually make the connections from the gauge to the existing connector on the bike. Some people leave the job to their dealer, others who have nothing else to do fight through it via experimentation, and still others (like me) send the $210 lemon back from whence it came, because they have better things to do. Either way, its all good!
I installed the one on my Road King. It really was pretty easy, the only issue I ran across was getting the old stock fuel gauge removed from the tank. I ended up cutting the wires at the plastic connector to be able to get it removed.
I had the kit install on my Softail when the tank was being reinstalled after I had it painted.
I really like the looks and think that they are a good product.

Quick Reply: Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?