Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a used 2012 Fatboy Lo nothing but trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Fla-kruzen
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a used 2012 Fatboy Lo nothing but trouble

How much can one take? Last week I purchased subject bike from my local dealer. I have only rode it 3 times. Once from the dealer to home. Then when I left for my first ride, I get an engine light warning. I take it back to the dealer. They found a loose ground and fixed it. When I bought it, the previous owner had some wicked 17" ape hangers on it and some kind of rubberized coating on the dash cover. The dealer swapped the bars and cables (at a cost). I'm still waiting for front turn signals they had to order. While I'm waiting, I decided to take the dash cover off and stripped it to have it powder coated. Whatever the rubberized material that was on it would not come off! Tried sandblasting and chemical stripping, it just would not come off. So I cut my losses and ordered a new dash last Thursday from the dealer, paid for overnight shipment to be delivered yesterday by noon. Guess what, it did not get delivered! Really! How hard can it be! They told me the Harley warehouse screwed it up and I will have it Monday! It's a perfect weekend here is south Florida and I can't ride my new bike yet! Good grief...

Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Lot's of summer left. Hang in there! I know what it's like to wait to ride your new bike. It rained for 3 days after I got mine.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:11 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,937 Likes on 21,509 Posts

Trade it in.
That'll teach em!!
lolol

Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Fla-kruzen
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to trade it back for a Heritage, they had no interest. I like the bike, but come on, you would think they would a least try to help after you spend a small fortune with them on a bike....

Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

You should get a refund our credit on the over nite shipping. Since it didn't happen.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:02 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla-kruzen
How much can one take? Last week I purchased subject bike from my local dealer. I have only rode it 3 times. Once from the dealer to home. Then when I left for my first ride, I get an engine light warning. I take it back to the dealer. They found a loose ground and fixed it. When I bought it, the previous owner had some wicked 17" ape hangers on it and some kind of rubberized coating on the dash cover. The dealer swapped the bars and cables (at a cost). I'm still waiting for front turn signals they had to order. While I'm waiting, I decided to take the dash cover off and stripped it to have it powder coated. Whatever the rubberized material that was on it would not come off! Tried sandblasting and chemical stripping, it just would not come off. So I cut my losses and ordered a new dash last Thursday from the dealer, paid for overnight shipment to be delivered yesterday by noon. Guess what, it did not get delivered! Really! How hard can it be! They told me the Harley warehouse screwed it up and I will have it Monday! It's a perfect weekend here is south Florida and I can't ride my new bike yet! Good grief...
I was expecting to see a whole lot more issues than this when I read the title. These are just inconveniences. Now, if you had an oil leak, not starting, not idling properly, loss of compression, dying when rolling to a stop or a flat out catastrophic engine failure, that's what I was waiting to read.

You gave my hopes up.

The following 6 users liked this post by UHDhog:
103 sedona orange (05-15-2017), Axis39 (05-06-2017), Br125 (05-08-2017), danktat (05-07-2017), HDmikie (05-08-2017), Rakthi (05-08-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
I was expecting to see a whole lot more issues than this when I read the title. These are just inconveniences. Now, if you had an oil leak, not starting, not idling properly, loss of compression, dying when rolling to a stop or a flat out catastrophic engine failure, that's what I was waiting to read.

You gave my hopes up.
Yeah, I was thinking you had bought a bike and it was one real problem after another.

I wasn't looking forward to reading about any serious issues, but I wanted to revel in your pain instead of mine.... Which consists of not having a chance to put the new sissy bar on since I got it almost a week ago.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 426 Likes on 286 Posts
Default your new ride

Originally Posted by UHDhog

You gave my hopes up.
I really thought it would be trouble like the engine ,tranny , or worse

Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 PM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Wish I knew you needed a dash I have my stock one laying around collecting dust

Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

These dont sound like troubles to me. Sounds like an average day in buying a new bike. Thicker skin is going to be needed, or youre not going to be happy with a Harley.

Quick Reply: Bought a used 2012 Fatboy Lo nothing but trouble