Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud are Samson Cholos

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How loud are Samson Cholos

I just purchased a 17 Heritage Softail Classic. I was thinking of putting Samson tru-dual Cholos on it (likely 30 or 33"), but am concerned about the noise level. I do not like loud bikes (causes ringing in my ears). For those who have the Cholos with baffles in either the 30 or 33 inch, how loud are they?

In comparison, I really don't want louder than HD screamin' eagle mufflers. My last bike had VH Twin Slash mufflers and I found them too loud after about an hour of riding.

Thanks

Old 05-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Loud bikes saves lives, especially factor in children playing, pets running loose, someone opening their car door, the one fixing to change lanes, the pedestrian, etc.. Of course, an HOA neighborhood will always frown on them.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:46 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

There is certainly benefits from loud pipes like what Tampa says. I have never heard any quiet as stock fishtails...even with baffles in them. Even some plain old slipons will be louder than stock. The solution might be to just wear ear plugs. That way your ears ain't hurting and your bike sounds badass.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I have Samson 28.5" true dual fishtails. If you don't like loud pipes, do not get the Samson Cholos.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Can you still get these? Last I "heard" the company was being sold and getting these pipes was hit or miss. Purchase went something along the lines of credit cards were charged, ETA given, ETA missed, missed again, missed again, "hold for so-and-so", new ETA, ETA missed again, answering machine, answering machine, "hold for so-and-so", not our fault, transaction canceled, wait for the funds to be recouped, start looking for another set of pipes....

Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

A friend has Samson cholos on an Heritage Springer. They are loud. When we're together he rides behind me.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:10 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the 33" fishtails (with removable baffles installed) on my 2001 Heritage Springer that has a worked 95" engine. I would say that if you like the looks of true dual fishtails get them. If you don't like loud bikes, don't get them. They are loud. No sugar coating it. There are SE shark-tail tips for the SE mufflers and the original fishtail mufflers that were stock for the Heritage Springers that kind of have the look without all the noise.

But some of call that "noise" the music of our bikes. I also have a 2014 Police Electraglide with 4" diameter Python mufflers. With its baffles in, it is louder than stock, but much quieter than my Heritage Springer. I have that bike set up that way because i want to listen to the stereo. With the baffles removed, the bike is way louder.

On a Softail Classic, like you have, there will be so much wind noise at speed, the exhaust is the least of your noise problems. But only you know what is best for you.

Ride Safe!

Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 PM
SunDevil45
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Can you still get these? Last I "heard" the company was being sold and getting these pipes was hit or miss. Purchase went something along the lines of credit cards were charged, ETA given, ETA missed, missed again, missed again, "hold for so-and-so", new ETA, ETA missed again, answering machine, answering machine, "hold for so-and-so", not our fault, transaction canceled, wait for the funds to be recouped, start looking for another set of pipes....
Samson seems very responsive these days, at least to me. Stan himself & a few other folks at Samson have called &/or messaged me (danm near immediately) to answer questions while I was figuring out what I wanted & since then & I just ordered Sunday. I ordered the 39" Cholos (SKU 572) for a new Deluxe Sunday afternoon, got an order complete acknowledgement this morning & then I shot him a message bc I forgot gaskets & he got back to me in like 5 minutes (& he's out of town) & said no worries, throwing a set in the box & they are shipping today. I should have them in hand Monday at the latest.

I know they went through a bit of a rough patch a while back, but they've been pretty solid after Kenny came out of retirement late 2015 & started putting things back on track. Yeah, company is for sale, owner's been doing exhaust work for dang near 50 years, can't blame him for wanting to take some time to enjoy the ride. My experience has been good & I only went with Samson bc everyone I know that has dealt with them, either recently or years ago, has had good experiences & responsive customer service.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

My .04 had em.. These were loud... Today I just purchased V&H True duals w/fishtails and the quiet baffles.. Slightly louder than the Screamin Chicken but a nicer tone.. Also going on a 17 HSTC

Old 06-01-2017, 05:22 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevil45
I should have them in hand Monday at the latest.
Please keep us posted if they do come in Monday. I've heard stories where they were told they were shipped and on the way and showed up 6 months later.

Quick Reply: How loud are Samson Cholos