Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Fat Boy S added Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla-kruzen
What type of bags are they? Harley or aftermarket? I think they look great but more importantly, functional...need a place to carry stuff....great job!
2016 Harley bags of of a road glide I think. They were a Craig's list purchase I couldn't pass up. Thanks! I put them on since I commute to work on the bike most days, but I can also carry my jacket and store it when temps get to high in summer and pull it out in the winter when cold. Just ordered the liners for them.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I noticed you installed the newer hardbags. What model and part number did you use for the brackets?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jimmy55TX
I noticed you installed the newer hardbags. What model and part number did you use for the brackets?
#CV7210 was the Cycle Vision Part number which I got from Direct Cycle Parts for $245.96 shipped. Got the bags from Craigslist which are 2014 and up from a 2016 touring bike. I am going to go back at some point this winter and make my own brackets to get the bags closer to the bike. Just needed some quick brackets to get them installed. I'm still a little conflicted with hard bags on a softail, but the function of them is friggin' awesome! I do love the look of her AS* now, just don't love her side profile as much as I could.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't hate it.

I had a 2014 Street Glide Special. Loved that bike but ended up trading it for a ducati wanting more speed. Ended up trading the Ducati bc I missed Harley and got my Fatboy S.

Do those pop on and off super easily like they do on a touring bike? If so, I could rock those for long trips. But being able to strip them off real quick for the cruiser look around town would be nice.

It was nice when I had the SGS and the wife and I could fill the bags with sweatshirts and a blacket and bottle of wine etc and ride up to the beach. I kind of miss not having storage.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
I don't hate it.

I had a 2014 Street Glide Special. Loved that bike but ended up trading it for a ducati wanting more speed. Ended up trading the Ducati bc I missed Harley and got my Fatboy S.

Do those pop on and off super easily like they do on a touring bike? If so, I could rock those for long trips. But being able to strip them off real quick for the cruiser look around town would be nice.

It was nice when I had the SGS and the wife and I could fill the bags with sweatshirts and a blacket and bottle of wine etc and ride up to the beach. I kind of miss not having storage.
The bags do pop off in a few seconds, however leaving the mounting brackets. It is my intention to go back this winter and work on a set of my own brackets to make for quick removal and assembly. Also want to hug the bags closer to the bike. If you wanted to remove the brackets as well, it would probably take about 10 minutes to remove them from the bike as long as you don't loctite the fender rail screws. I'm torn as well on the looks, but the last week of riding with the bags has been awesome for storage. No longer have to bring my helmet and jacket with me. Still working on the leg swing though with the new clearance.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM
jhblaze1
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
The bags do pop off in a few seconds, however leaving the mounting brackets. It is my intention to go back this winter and work on a set of my own brackets to make for quick removal and assembly. Also want to hug the bags closer to the bike. If you wanted to remove the brackets as well, it would probably take about 10 minutes to remove them from the bike as long as you don't loctite the fender rail screws. I'm torn as well on the looks, but the last week of riding with the bags has been awesome for storage. No longer have to bring my helmet and jacket with me. Still working on the leg swing though with the new clearance.

I was looking at the HD Detachables leather bags, but at $900 for soft bags that don't lock, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase. I hate the look of those little low slung swing arm bags, and need a bit more storage than that anyway. I usually just ride with a back pack but that isn't always fun.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jhblaze1
I was looking at the HD Detachables leather bags, but at $900 for soft bags that don't lock, I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase. I hate the look of those little low slung swing arm bags, and need a bit more storage than that anyway. I usually just ride with a back pack but that isn't always fun.
I have the swing arm bag, which I am keeping for when I want to ride without the hard bags, if I ever do again. Can get a 8 pack of hot dogs and rolls in it at best. I had a few bids on Ebay on some of the HD leather bags, but didn't win them so went with the hard when I saw them on CL. Summer heat and back packs are not much fun. Also love the ability to carry a cup in the hard bag and stop for iced or hot coffee whenever I feel like it. Already added a Captain Itch cup holder to the inside.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 AM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What did you use to relocate your turn signals? I have the lay down tag mount like you and would like to relocate my signals. Thanks. P.S. Your ride looks great!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
#CV7210 was the Cycle Vision Part number which I got from Direct Cycle Parts for $245.96 shipped. Got the bags from Craigslist which are 2014 and up from a 2016 touring bike. I am going to go back at some point this winter and make my own brackets to get the bags closer to the bike. Just needed some quick brackets to get them installed. I'm still a little conflicted with hard bags on a softail, but the function of them is friggin' awesome! I do love the look of her AS* now, just don't love her side profile as much as I could.
Thanks. I doubt you will be able to get them any closer to the bike without sliding them further backwards. The front of the bag is already close to the seat.

id just temporarily place them up against the bike to get a visual of where they look the best, then fab up your brackets. I think they could go a little forward so the rear fender and the rear of the bags look good.

If you fab up brackets you probably have the skills to make fillers for the rear.

Gonna do they same with the Heritage but you're the first I saw using the 14+ bags, which is what I want to use.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FL-kruzen
What did you use to relocate your turn signals? I have the lay down tag mount like you and would like to relocate my signals. Thanks. P.S. Your ride looks great!
I made aluminum profile matched brackets, hollow for the wires, which still need to be finished and powder coated. Just not much available in aftermarket that I wanted to put on the bike.

Quick Reply: 2016 Fat Boy S added Hard Bags