Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high speed wobble on custom softail

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Marilyn Sunny Strauss
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high speed wobble on custom softail

I am new at this... started a forum once. Give me a break if I don't respond right away.

I have to share this because it is new you can use - added quick disconnect fairing and hard bags to my CVO Convertible. I have had high speed wobble since. Been trying to make sure all is right and then I put a back seat on my bike and rode b*tch to see what it would do. I normally had the wobble at 80 and we took it out over 110

My next step is to get a couple turns on the shocks in the rear. Anyone else have ideas (don't tell me to gain weight!)

Sunny

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 PM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Wobbles and instability are "usually" a sign of not enough weight on the front-end. All the things you added takes weight off the front, even the fairing.

I'd crank up some preload on on the rear.

What I state assumes you don't have other issues like loose steering head bearings, forks that have leaked fluid, etc...

The following users liked this post:
Marilyn Sunny Strauss (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'd check the torque on the fork nut, I heard HD raised it at one point but I read that a long time ago an do remember what bikes they raised it on...I added a little windshield that has the little curved up lip an it seems to help high speed stability, like it added a little down force on the front forks.

you can also:

have the tire checked for balance, check front/rear wheel alignment, if using a spoke wheel check for a loose spoke

Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Marilyn Sunny Strauss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FLSSBart
Wobbles and instability are "usually" a sign of not enough weight on the front-end. All the things you added takes weight off the front, even the fairing.

I'd crank up some preload on on the rear.

What I state assumes you don't have other issues like loose steering head bearings, forks that have leaked fluid, etc...
Is preload different than rear shocks being tightened? I am taking it to adjust two turns and see what it does.

I added the fairing to the front end, it had a small one. I would say maybe 15 pounds heavier. I have had the front end checked out and tightened up the head bearing.

I spoke with a frame builder yesterday and he said he may be able to help me put some weight in the back.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Marilyn Sunny Strauss
6th Gear

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I'd check the torque on the fork nut, I heard HD raised it at one point but I read that a long time ago an do remember what bikes they raised it on...I added a little windshield that has the little curved up lip an it seems to help high speed stability, like it added a little down force on the front forks.

you can also:

have the tire checked for balance, check front/rear wheel alignment, if using a spoke wheel check for a loose spoke
Had the torgue checked, I need to try cutting my windshield down some more and I may check out something like you have. Where did you get it and how tall is it?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:36 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

it's a wind vest....I think LRS Long Range Shields makes curved shields that fit the HD windshield frame.

https://longrideshields.com/collecti...fatboy-softail

I had one on my Electra glide an I was able to get a shorter shield for the look but the kick up from the curve gave it the same protection as a taller straight one.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a slightly loose front center fork nut ... snugged and greased found handlebar little loose ...... let go of the bars now rides smooth as glass