Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018...sounds pretty damn good.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts
Default 2018...sounds pretty damn good.

Lots of complaints about the new M8 sound. So far after a few weeks of riding my 114 I disagree.

I have a cammed EVO with a Pro Pipe, a Dyna with V&H BSS system...previously Thunderheader for many years...Rush...Bassani DNT on my RK....I like a nice sounding pipe as much as any long time motor enthusiast....

Yes, it's a tad quiet, especially at idle, but the sound is good. Tone is nice and deep. (Nice being back to an 850 rpm idle too)....going down the road and especially at 60+ I hear it well. I might like to hear it an ounce more, but honestly it sounds deeper and better than any stock Harley I've had. Get on it, you will hear it.

The motor sounds the most different which is especially noticeable at idle and low speeds...Less clatter, but more gear whine. Not a bad sound, but I think it's what's throwing people off when they say it doesn't sound like a Harley.

Going down the road it does....and that's where I spend the majority of my quality time with a motorcycle...

It's not the crackling thunder of my other pipes, but stock never is. It's down there though if you want it. I can hear it.

I'd like to hear some simple slip ons to compare and maybe hear s little more volume, but I'm not dying for it.

This video starting at 22:00 has some decent riding sound. That's a stock 107. Give it a listen. For stock pipes with cat? Pretty good music.

The only stock pipes that sound better imo are on Ducati Monsters. I don't know how they get them approved. Loud, mean, and snarly for stock.

Ok....now I need you other '18 Softail owners to get slip ons so I can hear em!

Be nice to hear a stage II torque cam on a Softail also...anybody? Anybody?
I've only got about 6 weeks left to include it in my factory warranty....so get on it!!

I'm inclined to leave it all alone, but I'm open to temptation...

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-11-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Where is the sound?

Old 09-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Where is the sound?
Ha. I don't know what to tell you JS. Plenty of sound there. Ride starts at 21 minutes roughly...maybe your speakers aren't doing it justice.

I know what loud is, and I know it's not that, but I'm not comparing a stock bike to your stage V fire breather ...or any aftermarket exhaust mod.

I do care about tone, and the tone is excellent, plus I do hear it comfortably going down the road...and it does in fact sound like a Harley. Really.

For a stock bike it's all good imo. Sure a lopey cam is fun at idle, but Twin Cams never had that either...my cammed Evo lopes and it is one of my favorite sounding bikes I've ever heard...the M8 does something different, but I still like it.

I'm hoping to hear what the Stage II torque cam sounds like in the 114 with slip ons. I know it's a soft cam mod, but in an uncharacteristic nod to practicality I'm keeping the warranty intact for awhile on this new motor...

I'm not deaf and I know pipes...you want serious sound you go full system no matter what going back 70 years. Don't know why everyone's complaining about stock sound or acting like these M8s fell off a Honda truck. I like Honda too, but this ain't that. This is a Harley and it sounds good.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Where is the sound?
About halfway through the video.

It sounds like no clacking valve train noise like my Evo but man, his camera sure picked up a ridiculous amount of gear whine. I don't know if it was just the camera or if it really sounds like that, but that is a big turn off.

As for as the exhaust note on the video, it is ok, but is generic. By that I mean, it lacks any distinctive characteristic and could be the exhaust sound of virtually any motorcycle. It doesn't stand out and say, yeah, this is a Harley or even "hey, this is an M8 which is different but still unique". Frankly, the M8 touring bikes sound better. The touring bikes have the catalytic converters in the head pipes whereas these Softails have them in the muffler.

I like the sound of S&S MK45 slip ons on the M8 touring bikes. Once the aftermarket catches up with the new Softails, it will get better. A better exhaust note might drown out some of that dreaded gear whine. Hopefully the whine is just the poor microphone in the camera. I will try to do some test rides of my own soon. You might say that my life's work has been about sound in one capacity or another.

I always enjoy Matt Laidlaw's videos.

The following users liked this post:
Jessica Sinclair (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Prot, yes lots of gear whine on these compared to Twin Cams. A lot probably comes from the gear driven counterbalancers. I'll say that above 40mph I don't hear it. Just the wind and deep exhaust note. Riding it I do find it has a distinct character. Maybe you'll feel different. His mic is also getting hammered by the wind, but I felt the vid effectively showed that the bike in not overly quiet and the exhaust has a deep tone.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Prot, yes lots of gear whine on these compared to Twin Cams. A lot probably comes from the gear driven counterbalancers. I'll say that above 40mph I don't hear it. Just the wind and deep exhaust note. Riding it I do find it has a distinct character. Maybe you'll feel different. His mic is also getting hammered by the wind, but I felt the vid effectively showed that the bike in not overly quiet and the exhaust has a deep tone.
Have you seen his Fat Bob video? The exhaust is barely audible in that one.

My dealer has a breakout, fat bob. and Heritage according to their website.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
About halfway through the video.

It sounds like no clacking valve train noise like my Evo but man, his camera sure picked up a ridiculous amount of gear whine. I don't know if it was just the camera or if it really sounds like that, but that is a big turn off.

As for as the exhaust note on the video, it is ok, but is generic. By that I mean, it lacks any distinctive characteristic and could be the exhaust sound of virtually any motorcycle. It doesn't stand out and say, yeah, this is a Harley or even "hey, this is an M8 which is different but still unique". Frankly, the M8 touring bikes sound better. The touring bikes have the catalytic converters in the head pipes whereas these Softails have them in the muffler.

I like the sound of S&S MK45 slip ons on the M8 touring bikes. Once the aftermarket catches up with the new Softails, it will get better. A better exhaust note might drown out some of that dreaded gear whine. Hopefully the whine is just the poor microphone in the camera. I will try to do some test rides of my own soon. You might say that my life's work has been about sound in one capacity or another.

I always enjoy Matt Laidlaw's videos.
I agree the M8 Touring bikes definitely sound a lot better. I heard the new Softails in person and they are a lot quieter then my new 2018 Road Kind Special. I'm definitely looking forward to at least slip ons for my bike.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Prot....hmmmmm you might need to visit for a demo....

Yeah, I've heard the Fat Bob in person. Pretty different sounding. The Heritage at idle is 99% gear whine which I don't love, but once moving it drastically improves.

I think the touring bikes have always had my favorite sound. Those big dual sided cans just have a great sound to them. My RK was very sweet sounding....but the M8 motor won the day for me over the Rushmore.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Prot
Club Member

FWIW, I did a test ride on a VROD night rod last year. I loved it. Sound, feel, performance, ergonomics etc was spot on. If I could justify a second bike, that would be it

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 PM
J_E_D
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The sound on my 18 FXLR is fine.

Will not be replacing the stock pipes.

Quick Reply: 2018...sounds pretty damn good.