Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Fat Bob 114

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:21 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

That is a rare fluke to be sure. Things happen, but this is not common at all. Hopefully the new gear set will address it and be the last you hear of it.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by vyasar
Okay, a very disappointing thing happened the day before yesterday. It was evening, and I was riding back home from work on the freeway. It was about 6 pm, and I'm in the Bay Area, the traffic is just horrible. I was splitting lanes at about 30 mph, and a car in front of me start cutting across. So I braked to slow down, and down shifted from 3rd to 2nd gear. The bike started shaking and I start to hear a horrible rattling sound. The engine itself seems to be running fine, brakes are working, and I'm able to up-shift gear to 4th and 5th. I'm just an exit away from my house, so I'm able to make it back home.

The horrible rattling happens at the lower gears, or at idle when I shift to a gear and slowly disengage the clutch. At this point I'm suspecting that something is wrong with the primary chain, or some metal parts are banging against each other inside the gear box.

I call Oakland Harley the next day (which is yesterday) and they promptly send a technician with a truck to pick up the bike. The service guys took a look at my bike today and said that they found a broken gear in the transmission. Harley will replace with a new transmission gear pack under warranty. They say it will probably take until the end of next week to get the new parts in and fix it on my bike.

I’m disappointed to hear that the transmission is broken on a new bike. It’s just been a couple of weeks or so and about 600 miles on the bike. Do you guys know how/why this could've happened? Is it a bad part or a manufacturing defect? I'm hoping I'm just unlucky to have gotten a bad part on my bike...I'd really not have to think about lemons.
Wow - I am really sorry to hear that. Harley gear boxes on the whole are very solid and they have had years to work out the kinks in the 6 speed box. There were some failures a few years back but they seemed to be mainly a bearing failure in the 2007-2010 models.

I'd guess you just got unlucky with a bad gear as there are probably millions of Harleys out there with the same gear set....

Hope HD take care of you and get you back on the road quickly. Nothing worse than having a new bike and not being able to ride it. (Well.....OK, there are worse things, but....)

Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 AM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks great and I like that Bonneville Salt color ! I bet it even looks better in person !

Old 10-19-2017, 11:08 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Okay, a very disappointing thing happened the day before yesterday. It was evening, and I was riding back home from work on the freeway. It was about 6 pm, and I'm in the Bay Area, the traffic is just horrible. I was splitting lanes at about 30 mph, and a car in front of me start cutting across. So I braked to slow down, and down shifted from 3rd to 2nd gear. The bike started shaking and I start to hear a horrible rattling sound. The engine itself seems to be running fine, brakes are working, and I'm able to up-shift gear to 4th and 5th. I'm just an exit away from my house, so I'm able to make it back home.

The horrible rattling happens at the lower gears, or at idle when I shift to a gear and slowly disengage the clutch. At this point I'm suspecting that something is wrong with the primary chain, or some metal parts are banging against each other inside the gear box.

I call Oakland Harley the next day (which is yesterday) and they promptly send a technician with a truck to pick up the bike. The service guys took a look at my bike today and said that they found a broken gear in the transmission. Harley will replace with a new transmission gear pack under warranty. They say it will probably take until the end of next week to get the new parts in and fix it on my bike.

I’m disappointed to hear that the transmission is broken on a new bike. It’s just been a couple of weeks or so and about 600 miles on the bike. Do you guys know how/why this could've happened? Is it a bad part or a manufacturing defect? I'm hoping I'm just unlucky to have gotten a bad part on my bike...I'd really not have to think about lemons.

Really sorry to hear of the challenges, I'm sure it'll be fine once taken care of and hopefully a one off problem. I've never seen a bike carrier like that, uber cool!

Old 11-28-2017, 11:42 PM
vyasar
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It’s been a while, but wanted to update the bike is running great now after the warranty work and 1K service. Recent mods include the sun downer seat, holdfast sissy bar with back rest, and the tbr pipes.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Glad it's running good and sorted. Looks like a beast.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 AM
hemipower
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s been a while, but wanted to update the bike is running great now after the warranty work and 1K service. Recent mods include the sun downer seat, holdfast sissy bar with back rest, and the tbr pipes.

EXACTLY what I am looking at... pulling up an older thread, I plan to get exactly that with a black exhaust, small fairing, lower it little and swap a 200mm rear tire on asap...

How is the FXFB 114 doing?

Old 01-16-2020, 03:19 PM
vancityharleyFXFBS
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fxfbs

I just got a 2020 FXFBS for Christmas. I'm so excited and can't wait for the warmer/drier weather to come. I'm in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Glad to hear that you're bike is fixed.