Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage vs 2018 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Get the FAT Boy. You want it, you know you do . . .

The following 2 users liked this post by Sleeko:
Redlegvzv (12-23-2017), texas30 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,258 Likes on 6,240 Posts

I am voting that he get or at least try the Sport Glide 😛

Old 12-23-2017, 11:27 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by texas30
It was then that I had a talk with myself about if I'm going to get a Fat Bob I might as well have just kept my Suzuki GSX-S1000F.
That's what I was going to say!

As far as comfort goes, other than the additional 1 inch of travel on the Heritage, I think you'll find comfort is much of a muchness. The rear passenger seat on the Heritage , is o.k., but just o.k. I feel the same about the riders seat. It's o.k. but you will see alot of people immediately considering a sundowner ,hammock or mustang etc.

Sounds like the Fatboy is still speaking to you the most ? Have you seen (Rich's) Puttnutts 2018 Fatboy thread ? I'm not second guessing my decision one bit, love Olive 100% , but I do still visit that thread alot just to see his bike.

I also cant ever remember anyone say "Damit, I wish I didn't buy that Fatboy " In fact, quite the opposite. When asked " Hey buddy what bike do you ride ? " Its as though the spirit of James Earl Jones visits them as thier voice drops an octave and the proudly say "I ride a fatboy" .

Once again....good luck. I vote white if your feeling really ballsy 👍

Last edited by kb_jag; 12-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:45 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by texas30
Thanks for all the replies.... For some reason (maybe because I'm new to the site) my replies do not show up. They say they need to be approved? I wrote one yesterday asking the question about making a passenger comfortable on a Fat Boy that has yet to show up.... Guess this one will be the same

Ok, so the quick reply worked. So any help with the question above as I am leaning towards the Fat Boy
Neither of your choices will be ideal for a passenger. My FatBoy has a very small pillion that I expect is comfortable for about twenty to thirty minutes. Unless you opt for a HD seat like the hammock the FatBoy is not going to offer the passenger much comfort. If your wife would not ride on the bike but just a few minutes at a time you would be fine but any long distance and once your stopped she may just slug you!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:08 PM
reynoldss
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed117
Neither of your choices will be ideal for a passenger. My FatBoy has a very small pillion that I expect is comfortable for about twenty to thirty minutes. Unless you opt for a HD seat like the hammock the FatBoy is not going to offer the passenger much comfort. If your wife would not ride on the bike but just a few minutes at a time you would be fine but any long distance and once your stopped she may just slug you!
Every time my wife rides I just pop on the sundowner and next ride without her put the stock seat back on. Big improvement in her comfort and still looks decent. Only takes about a minute to switch them.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

FAT is where it's at.

Get the Fat Boy. You know you want to.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:59 PM
texas30
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Well....... I snagged number 121 of 1100 of the 115 Anniversary 114 and let's just say she's FAT!!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions guys. I rode both 115 Anniversary editions back to back and then back to back again. It was tough but I just felt more at home on the Fat Boy. Got cruise control and quick release windscreen thrown in and on order.

#bestfreakinchristmasever

The following 2 users liked this post by texas30:
bbissell (12-23-2017), Redlegvzv (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

OP, you weren't going to go wrong with either choice!

Give us a riding report as soon as you can!

The following users liked this post:
texas30 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:37 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats man.... You'll love it. Photos Photos Photos 😁😂😃😄🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊😂😁😃😄

texas30 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeRides
I bought a new '18 Heritage 114 in September, replacing a '12 Fat Boy Lo. First, let me say, I never thought I'd get rid of that Fat Boy! It fit me perfectly, not only for comfort but for the way I ride. Over the years I had added a Stage 2, V&H Pro Pipes, Power Commander II, and 200mm rear tire. Quite alot of effort and money was spent powder coating various parts to get rid of most of the chrome. I definitely was NOT looking for a new bike.

Fast forward to a good friend trading in her Fat Bob for the new Heritage. I went by the dealership to see it when she picked it up. Nice bike, liked the blacked out look but that's all it was...just a nice bike. Then I took it for a spin around the parking lot. That's all it took! I bought one 4 days later and haven't regretted it. Other than the 114 engine, which is amazing, is it had everything I would have had to add on another Fat Boy. QR Windshield, bags, hi flow air intake, already blacked out, etc. The only things I knew I'd eventually replace is those ugly chrome pipes and the spoke wheels. Those changes will come this next year.

The difference in the ride is amazing. Compared to the Heritage, the Fat Boy was a sluggy rock! The lighter weight did take some getting used to, the front end felt a little squirrely at first, I wasn't used to a nimble bike! I've been told alot of that is because of the narrower tires on the Heritage, compared to the 200mm rear tire on the Lo. I do miss the look of that fat rear tire! Although it's almost 1" taller than the Lo, I still feel like I sit IN the bike, not on top of it. It has that same low center of gravity the Lo had. After about 4000 miles I'm totally comfortable with it and would definitely do it again.
FatBoy a sluggy rock?? Heratige lighter than FatBoy?? Wrong on both counts. I agree both bikes have pluses and minsus but I must come to the defense of the FatBoy. This bike is totally different from the previous year. While the Heratige had few changes other than the overall Softail changes the FatBoy has been totally reengineered. I like both bikes but for different reasons but neither is a sluggy rock by any stretch of the imagination. I also disagree with your suggestion that the FatBoy is not nimble or difficult to handle due to large tires. I won’t lie it does have a short learning curve but once your used to it I think you will find you can keep up with any thing in the Softail lineup or even surpass them. I have ridden with sport bikes and other Harley’s neither of which I could not keep up with or pass by without a lot of trouble. Frankly I feel the large front tire (largest ever for a Harley) has made the FatBoy not only more stable but also much more nimble than previous years.

Last edited by BigRed117; 12-23-2017 at 10:12 PM.
bbissell (12-23-2017)

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage vs 2018 Fat Boy