Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride on the 18 Heritage 114..thoughts & a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 PM
texas30
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default First ride on the 18 Heritage 114..thoughts & a question

Still a little chilly here in H-town but finally took her out today. Not a long ride, about 40 miles but here are my thoughts so far.

Handling: A+
She handles like a dream. Bike feels really light & flickable for a cruiser & corners like a crotch rocket. The lean angle is everything advertised and this is coming from a motocross guy. Very impressed with the corner abilities.

Suspension: Solid A
Bike is still new so of course it needs break-in time but very, very plush. I adjusted for my weight (very easy to do) and took off.

Motor: A++
Are you kidding me? Buy this motor with a bike attached to it... You'll be happy

Transmission: A & D-
Shifting is spot on and precise but If I can't find neutral does it really exist? I know it's a Harley thing but dam

Comfort: B
This could just be me. First bike I've ever owned with floorboards so the overall riding position is new to me. Seat feels comfortable enough although I never found exactly where I should be sitting in it. Bars & controls are great, probably change the grips, thinking Avon memory.

Windshield: F
My ONLY real complaint. I guess 5'8 is the wrong height for this thing. Any speed 50+ hammered me. I tried my open face my full face and no helmet and I got my rear kicked every time. The wind hits me right above my eyes. This is a must fix. I know the easy solution. Replace the shield. My problem is I really like the look of the stock shield. Has anyone tried the Laminar LIP? Just wondering if it might be the answer without having to replace the shield.

In conclusion: Except for the windshield I am loving this bike. Go ride one for yourself, you'll end up with it in your garage

The following 4 users liked this post by texas30:
RATFINK53 (01-25-2018), rauchman (01-08-2018), Schoolboy (01-24-2018), Thingfish (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:45 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by texas30
Windshield: F
My ONLY real complaint. I guess 5'8 is the wrong height for this thing. Any speed 50+ hammered me. I tried my open face my full face and no helmet and I got my rear kicked every time. The wind hits me right above my eyes. This is a must fix. I know the easy solution. Replace the shield. My problem is I really like the look of the stock shield. Has anyone tried the Laminar LIP? Just wondering if it might be the answer without having to replace the shield.
Let me ask you to try one thing -- it's a slightly odd test, don't do it if you're not comfortable doing it, but it may provide a clue to solving your problem with the windshield.

Take the bike out (somewhere safe, obviously, not in traffic) where you can run it up to 70mph or so, and take note of the battering you're taking from the windshield. Then, while you're at speed, extend your legs out as if you were going to use highway pegs -- put your feet out in front of you, close to the tank. See if that makes any difference in the wind buffeting on your helmet. It made a huge difference for me, on my bike.

If it solves it for you, it may be a case that all you need are some fork wind deflectors to resolve your wind buffeting problem.

While I'm here, can I ask you for a small favor? Can you tell me what the distance is, center to center, of the screws where your windshield mounts to the forks? Should be two screws on each side, holding in rubber grommets, where the windshield frame locks into. I don't have a Heritage, but I'm trying to see if it uses the same mounting brackets for its windshield that mine does; it may mean I can use Heritage-compatible fork deflectors too.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 01-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

I'm not the OP but, On my Heritage, those bolts are 8 7/8 center to center.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole914
I'm not the OP but, On my Heritage, those bolts are 8 7/8 center to center.
Thank you very much!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't find neutral?

Re-adjust the clutch. At the adjuster behind the derby cover.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:44 PM
texas30
Cruiser

I got this measurement... center to center.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM
texas30
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Let me ask you to try one thing -- it's a slightly odd test, don't do it if you're not comfortable doing it, but it may provide a clue to solving your problem with the windshield.

Take the bike out (somewhere safe, obviously, not in traffic) where you can run it up to 70mph or so, and take note of the battering you're taking from the windshield. Then, while you're at speed, extend your legs out as if you were going to use highway pegs -- put your feet out in front of you, close to the tank. See if that makes any difference in the wind buffeting on your helmet. It made a huge difference for me, on my bike.

If it solves it for you, it may be a case that all you need are some fork wind deflectors to resolve your wind buffeting problem.

While I'm here, can I ask you for a small favor? Can you tell me what the distance is, center to center, of the screws where your windshield mounts to the forks? Should be two screws on each side, holding in rubber grommets, where the windshield frame locks into. I don't have a Heritage, but I'm trying to see if it uses the same mounting brackets for its windshield that mine does; it may mean I can use Heritage-compatible fork deflectors too.
Thanks...I will give it a try tomorrow.... I just wonder if it's because the stock shield has no lip at all which is why I was thinking of trying the Laminar lip.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Texas30, you are correct. FatBob2018, I apologize for the miss information.

After seeing Texas30's post, I rechecked. I don't know what I was looking at when I saw 8 7/8, I blame it on old eyes but, it is in fact 8 1/4.

The following users liked this post:
texas30 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 PM
texas30
Cruiser

lmao....Good to hear pothole because I thought it might have been my old eyes.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by texas30
lmao....Good to hear pothole because I thought it might have been my old eyes.
Yep, getting old sucks, can't see, can't hear myself fart and teeth falling out. LMAO

Quick Reply: First ride on the 18 Heritage 114..thoughts & a question