Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone tried putting a 5 gallon tank on the 2018 breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 PM
YammyBase
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

so,, did the OP (or anyone else) successfully got around installing the Fatboy fuel pump with correct reading etc? Im looking at doing this for my 18 street bob

Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 AM
papa11
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh hell yes!!! I have an 18 breakout and you just made my freeking day!! that looks awesome!! nice job and thank you very much for all the info!!

The following users liked this post:
MavEryck (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:15 PM
MavEryck
Intermediate
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I love what you did with that 5 gallon tank swap! I went with the stretched tank from a German company called Dark-Parts. One of the builds I did used the short fender from the same company and I was really happy with that fender. But unfortunately, the fender got destroyed. (long story) I've since gone back to the stock rear fender and I am happier for the versatility (adding backrest, luggage rack, and luggage for quick weekend trips alone or with my Ol' Lady) (Saving the Street Glide Special for my longer trips with my Club)

Anyway... the stretched tank I went with is 4 gallons but because of the placement of the fuel petcock, only 3 gallons is usable. Love the look but would prefer to go 5 gallon like you did. Btw, I just use my trip meter because the stretched tank does not register my fuel at all... Always says full or near full. I carry an extra fuel bottle that comes with the swing arm bag from La Rosa.

I had the cruise control installed and I LOVE IT!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:05 AM
JD Dayton
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Its just about completed... The tank was an easy mod from what I have been told. Just need to complete a few odds and ins and it should be ready my the weekend...

So far I'm pleased with the new look... Cant wait to get into the wind!

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Im thinking about doing this did you have to change pump? Can you send a list of everything involved

Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

2020 Breakout STILL comes with the 3.5 tank! WTF

Old 01-02-2020, 09:54 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,627 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Funny how history repeats itself.......

When I bought my '78 FXS Lowrider, it came with a 3.5 gal tank. Looked good and everybody loved them...

Then the Wide Glide FXWG ('81ish) came out with a 5 gal tank.... Then many of the lowrider people wished they had a 5 gal tank. I had a friend put a 5 gal on his FXS... I kept the 3.5gal because I thought it looked better...

Old debate, new platform...

Carry on...

Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 AM
Joshua Ramos
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JD Dayton
Im thinking about doing this did you have to change pump? Can you send a list of everything involved
what modification did you need to do to put it on exactly if you do t mind me asking ?

Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 AM
akdeadhead
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes,..did it

Originally Posted by Joshua Ramos
what modification did you need to do to put it on exactly if you do t mind me asking ?
I replaced the fuel pump because the fatboy fuel pump has a different number than the BO. All total for the tank(primed) and pump was $1100. Then the body shop who painted it took the center counsel mounting tab off(ground it off). That’s it. Fuel gauge is still misreads but you get used to it. All work except paint done by the dealer

Old 03-31-2020, 12:47 PM
Joshua Ramos
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by akdeadhead
I replaced the fuel pump because the fatboy fuel pump has a different number than the BO. All total for the tank(primed) and pump was $1100. Then the body shop who painted it took the center counsel mounting tab off(ground it off). That’s it. Fuel gauge is still misreads but you get used to it. All work except paint done by the dealer
thank you

Old 05-16-2020, 11:48 PM
sabri747
1st Gear

Hi,
sorry to ask something out of the topic but really need help,
I wandering if any one knows if 2018 breakouts tank is applicable to breakout 2016? Kindly، Any reference ,,

Thanks

Quick Reply: anyone tried putting a 5 gallon tank on the 2018 breakout?