2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 04:41 AM
Rabianegra
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

900$ for a bag wrap?
I'd just bite the bullet and get me a custom set of Iron Bags.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:33 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 471 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabianegra
900$ for a bag wrap?
I'd just bite the bullet and get me a custom set of Iron Bags.
Yep that was their estimate. On the Cycle Trader listing they mentioned the name of the guy who did the work. So I found his FB page, sent the pic as a reference and asked what it would cost to do that. Just the bags I cannot even imagine what the total cost was including the seats since I am sure everything was done at one time.

I might check with my recently-discovered local repair shop guy. I need to speak face-to-face with someone who can take on the hard bag upgrade and know going in what's what. I do not have the patience and learning curves are NOT my thing. I like longer hard bags so I might be into this for new pipes as well. uggh

In a perfect world, Harley will come change the style of the Heritage bags to something people actually like and make them backwards compatible with 2018-current. However I am not not holding by breath on that.

The following users liked this post:
Rabianegra (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 06:37 PM
LTBiker
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Just some input on converting to the hard bags. I went with the Cobra El Diablo 2-into-1 exhaust system on my '23 Anniversary, believing it would work with converting to hard bags. Nope - the actual muffler part angles upward just a bit too much to allow the hard bags to fit with the mounting bracket. A shorty exhaust will work, or the Bassani 2-into-1 will work, maybe the S&S 2-into-1. I actually sent pictures with the Cobra installed to both Cycle Vision and Hogworkz, both said No Go with the Cobra system.
Called Viking and asked if they would do something other than Black on their bags with a Special Order, they said No.

So, now trying to decide if I want to start over with Bassani and spend $2K+ for new exhaust + the Hogworkz bags and brackets, or just live with the stock bags and add the H-D Docking Kit and a luggage rack and call it good. Or, may end up going with a Road King or Street Glide. Not crazy about the extra 100 lbs of weight, so who knows what I'll end up doing. Oh well.

bduds65 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:49 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 471 Likes on 298 Posts

My hang up is mainly with the black rivets. I wish I could get over it, but I just can't. Might need therapy perhaps.

My early estimate for everything I want to do for stage II is about $4k I think I will wait and see how my Rineharts sound in two more years. If I still want to make a change, I might go with the V&H Radius. They sound awesome on my 02 WG. Different animal I know....But that will give me the space I need regardless of my decision. May look odd with the smaller right-side bag and no pipes there

Last edited by bduds65; 04-24-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:44 PM
Ivan45acp
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I disliked the studs as well, but love everything else about the Heritage. Those parts can be changed easily, albeit not cheap. I found some used Iron Bags, a Corbin seat from fleabay, and a tank bib from a Slim to complete the "de-chickleting", all in about $1500. Also, a 2 into 1 pipe will be the best performing for any build. I initially tried the Rinehart 2 into 1 but it was too restrictive on the top end. Ended up getting the S&S Super Street, which works well for my build. Duals look good and sound good, but don't perform as well.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM
T Bean
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default luggage rack?

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
(Re-posting from other thread)

Couldn't resist taking a few quick snaps today, now that it's (almost) complete...

Mods/extras so far...
  • New paint, including custom tank logos which I designed - Was aiming for a 1945, WLA-US Navy style grey... this is Land Rover Arroios Grey, which is the closest colour I could find - not as 'dead' looking as Nardo and a touch lighter too
  • HD Black exhaust heat shields
  • Ceramic coated black 'cocktail shaker' exhausts (universal fit - had to make up some small brackets and baffles)
  • Light visors, all round
  • 'stud removal' underway on seat
  • Drag Specialities beach bars (so comfy, I now leave the Grasshopper backrest at home)
  • Softail Slim tank bib
  • Motherwell style (but WAY cheaper) luggage rack
  • HD finned timer and primary covers
  • HD swing-arm bag
  • Engine crash bars
  • Fork nut covers
  • Silver/Chrome round retro mirrors

Yet to tackle the air-cleaner cover - I hate it... looks kinda plastic and modern.. gonna try some chrome/silver pinstriping tape to give the insert a 'finned' look to match the other covers/cylinders... will report back on progress.

The seat is going to the upholsterer tomorrow to have an new plain panel sewn on where I took the studded one off (was a very easy to to unpick and remove it) and I'm also collecting the front-facing brackets for the screen that I've had painted gloss black.

She's almost there.

Could you please tell me where you got the luggage rack?

Uncle G. (Yesterday)