Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 fat bob muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Those are not springs but the pipe is perforated to let the exhaust fumes through. By removing the cap the flow out is faster and a bit louder. You're gonna like that!
​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
martin10 (06-11-2019)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:09 PM
blackSP
Tourer

Btw, I think if you take rod you can hammer those caps out too but then they fall in the pipes and will probably start to rattle. Hence the drilling.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by fdh161

I did that on mine when I first got it. If you look down a set of Street Cannons, you'll see they are the stock mufflers without the plug. The Street Cannon end caps even screw right on. You'll hear some difference in sound volume, but it won't be close to what you'd get with the S&S mufflers. Problem is the pipe through the stock and street cannons is (if I remember correctly) 1-1/2" diameter. The pipe in the S&S is 2". All in all, though, if you want the same sound as Street Cannons without spending the cash, drill away! It's a cheap way to improve things. Pics looking down stock pipe and Street Cannon attached.
Apologies for the hijack but did you notice any difference in the performance after drilling your stock mufflers out positive or negative?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:06 AM
Merkur34
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No performance difference just a little more sound. If you retune the bike it might add alittle power

The following users liked this post:
Bowhunter8607 (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Sliceoflife
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah!! Ok understood, in the picture the holes seemed springs. Which drill bit did you use? Tks!!!!

Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM
realsteel
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Apologies for the hijack but did you notice any difference in the performance after drilling your stock mufflers out positive or negative?
Hi am I noticing in top street cannons pic the removable baffle pipe is still inserted? I took caps of then drilled out rivets to just pull out restrictor. Or there still seems to be like a smaller section in the centre of muffler like a washer with hole in it. Is this what we are talking about drilling? cheers

Old 06-03-2018, 11:37 AM
blackSP
Tourer

The baffler pipe/db killer is the first thing you remove, than if you need a bit more sound you drill the end cap inside the muffler en pull it out completely.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by realsteel
Hi am I noticing in top street cannons pic the removable baffle pipe is still inserted? I took caps of then drilled out rivets to just pull out restrictor. Or there still seems to be like a smaller section in the centre of muffler like a washer with hole in it. Is this what we are talking about drilling? cheers
I guess I'm not sure. I thought it was simply drilling out the caps inside the baffle pipe. I'm not too familiar with the mufflers yet but will be pulling them off today to get a better look at them.

Originally Posted by blackSP
The baffler pipe/db killer is the first thing you remove, than if you need a bit more sound you drill the end cap inside the muffler en pull it out completely.
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out once removed and follow your advice. I've only had the bottom one off when replacing my rear tire but I didn't inspect it very closely. I'll have a better idea of what your speaking of soon.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:12 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

To end my hijacking of this thread I will post some more pictures of the modified pipes to hopefully contribute to the thread and possibly help someone else looking to do this. I punched mine out with a piece of rebar and a small sledge hammer. Worked like a charm. Here is what it looks like with the caps punched out.

As blackSP stated before, penny sized caps came out.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:25 AM
realsteel
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
To end my hijacking of this thread I will post some more pictures of the modified pipes to hopefully contribute to the thread and possibly help someone else looking to do this. I punched mine out with a piece of rebar and a small sledge hammer. Worked like a charm. Here is what it looks like with the caps punched out.

As blackSP stated before, penny sized caps came out.

I got that I see the washer looking restrictor halfway down Muffler. I gave it a good go to punch them out I think Blacksp is talking about drilling those I worked out 30mm hole saw on long extension should do it. mine had those caps out when I got bike( dealer must of done it) pretty sure so only outside left going to drill that out as well. I am talking about the Street Cannons Not standard Mufflers

Quick Reply: 2018 fat bob muffler question