Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage and tailbone pain? Sundowner the solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:15 PM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Heritage and tailbone pain? Sundowner the solution?

Loving my new Heritage Classic... not loving the tailbone pain I get after 20 mins.

I’m in the UK, otherwise I’d send my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles I guess to have the tailbone section sculpted out... though I’d ideally really like to keep the seat ‘stock’

I’ve read that the Sundowner solo seat can be better for tailbones... anyone got experience or alternative options?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Before I would invest in a New seat I would take it in to an auto interior shop who does car seats. They should be able to sculpture out the tail bone area and add a softer pice of foam to your seat and reinstall your existing cover. Had mine done by a local shop and am still riding it 15 yr. later.

KenK

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Watching the thread, my Saddleman is hurting too. I sat on the Sundowner and I know it won't be any better. I'm waiting on Ultimate Seats to hurry up and make one for the 18 Softails.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:11 PM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Umm....

This.

The following users liked this post:
uklauren (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 PM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Gotta say, that looks no more comfortable... the ‘straight across’ backing looks similar to the Mustangs, one of which I tried on my old Slim and found even worse than stock for putting pressure on my coccyx. Still no ‘cut out’ or depression for your tailbone... unless the internals are specifically designed to put less pressure there?

Last edited by stinkerbill; 08-18-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:30 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
Loving my new Heritage Classic... not loving the tailbone pain I get after 20 mins.

I’m in the UK, otherwise I’d send my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles I guess to have the tailbone section sculpted out... though I’d ideally really like to keep the seat ‘stock’

I’ve read that the Sundowner solo seat can be better for tailbones... anyone got experience or alternative options?

Look at it this way. 20 minutes in the saddle and your back hurts. I think could of been diagnosed with a 20 minute test ride. 20k and 20 minutes=your unhappy. Whiney blimy. Dump more money in it and make it your own and comfortable to you. No one here can do that for you. Things known to us. Good luck man

Old 08-18-2018, 03:38 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenney
Before I would invest in a New seat I would take it in to an auto interior shop who does car seats. They should be able to sculpture out the tail bone area and add a softer pice of foam to your seat and reinstall your existing cover. Had mine done by a local shop and am still riding it 15 yr. later.

KenK
This is the bast way to go , to make it truly comfortable. But I did it myself .

Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM
justcruising
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Btw, is the rear shock preload correctly set for your weight/load?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:41 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by stinkerbill

Bill,

Give these guys a call. Can't vouch for them but it looks like they do exactly what you need done....

Sussex Motorcycles (UK)

Old 08-19-2018, 11:23 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain

Thanks all

I’ve read too many conflicting reviews on the Sundowner to waste £250+ on one at this point. I can’t find a dealer yet with one in stock to try either.

I think I may try modding the seat - I did my Slim’s seat (though not the same issue or shape) with good results

i’m going to look at rear shock settings too

Last edited by stinkerbill; 08-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage and tailbone pain? Sundowner the solution?