Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage vibration and noise from the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:04 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Why would the Street Glide be better? You will probably lose on a trade. Just contact HD and tell them about it and find another place to fix it?

The following users liked this post:
johnpozzi (09-27-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

I lossened my belt by an 1/8 of a turn, the noise is about 90% gone now. I rode two up yesterday and barely noticed it after an hour, previously it was almost immediate.

If if anyone else wants to try this you will need a 36mm and a 28mm socket, torque spec is 95 foot pounds. I used a stack of feeler gauges between the adjustment bolts and the frame to ensure they are even.

The following users liked this post:
johnpozzi (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 06:14 AM
johnpozzi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Dealer is trying to fix it now... they replaced the rear rotor... No change! They ordered a front rotor now claiming the noise was coming from both the front and rear. We will see!

Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

I haven’t noticed the noise at all riding solo after adjusting the belt, may be a different noise though.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Same

I am confident that I have the exact same noise. Bike is with the dealer now.
The sound presents after 2 to 3 miles of riding. Makes no difference if the bike is under power or not. Makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or not. Most noticeable between 30 to 40 kph on deceleration, but that is normally because thats when everything else is quiet and you can hear it distinctly. Im not pleased anyone else is having the same issue, but I am pleased that others are posting about it. Look forward to a definitive cause and solution. Its not trim rings, its not fork tin, its not gas cap, its nowhere near the front of the bike. Its definitely resonating from the rear chain gaurd and caliper area. It makes you feel pretty stupid when your coasting to a red light and your new bike sounds like a bucket of bolts as you come to a stop. Look forward to your post and outcomes.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:03 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Harley is going back to their old ways
Letting the customers do the R & D.

The 1970's two answers for everything
"They all do that"
or
"Those never work"

Old 11-20-2018, 04:01 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine did that for a while but no longer. It seemed to start when the bike got to about 3,000 miles and did it for about 1,000 miles and have not heard the noise since. I have almost 11,000 miles at this point. It was a similar noise. Heard it mostly when coasting down towards 30 mph. It sounded like ruh-ruh-ruh as if something was rubbing wrong, not grinding, not totally annoying, just noticeable. But now its gone.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpozzi
I have an issue with my 2018 Heritage. After riding about 5 miles the bike sounds like an old pickup with bad brakes. The dealer had the bike for 3 weeks and could not figure out the problem and told me to just ride it to see if it gets better or worse.The is no change...
What has been done: Dealer replaced the rear brake calibers and champhared the pads.
I replaced the pads with DR pads... No change... The noise only happens when coasting or slowing down at around 30MPH. Thanks for any suggestions.
Originally Posted by supernac
I believe I have the same noise on my 2018 fat bob. I would describe it as a groan, it only happens when it’s warm, riding with the wife makes it worse. I thought it might be the belt but I bought a gauge and checked, it’s in spec.
I had the same issue on my 2018 Fatbob. After the 1000 mile service when the belt tension was adjusted the noise was super noticable and I felt vibrations on the foot pegs when it happened. The noise wasn as supernac described, more loke a groan and would onoy happen when coasting or slowing down at around 15 mph. I checked the belt tension and noticed it was really tight. The tech agreed and adjusted the belt again and it went away. It has come back a bit now but only happens now and then and not nearly as loud or noticable.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
Mine did that for a while but no longer. It seemed to start when the bike got to about 3,000 miles and did it for about 1,000 miles and have not heard the noise since. I have almost 11,000 miles at this point. It was a similar noise. Heard it mostly when coasting down towards 30 mph. It sounded like ruh-ruh-ruh as if something was rubbing wrong, not grinding, not totally annoying, just noticeable. But now its gone.
thats what mine sounds like but its from the front. my rear has a slight high pitched sound from the belt area. front sounds like a bearing going bad and gets louder tha longer i ride. rear sounds like thin metal or belt squeak. dealer said they couldnt hear anything with their full face helmet and my exhaust.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:04 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Could be the belt. My 18 FLHCS had a noise (like described) when I first got it. The service manual has 2 adjustment specs for the belt, one for a new belt for the first 1000 miles and one for a service belt. The owners manual does not tell you this, it only has the new belt spec, which I think is to tight. Mine is now after 3500 miles at the looser end of the service belt spec which IIRC is 3/8 to 9/16 and no more noise. I do still get a brake squeak every now and then.
I have always adjusted my belts to the loose end of the spec at the tightest spot in the belt.

Last edited by sandrooney; 11-21-2018 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage vibration and noise from the brakes?