Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage vibration and noise from the brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 PM
johnpozzi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Heritage vibration and noise from the brakes?

I have an issue with my 2018 Heritage. After riding about 5 miles the bike sounds like an old pickup with bad brakes. The dealer had the bike for 3 weeks and could not figure out the problem and told me to just ride it to see if it gets better or worse.The is no change...
What has been done: Dealer replaced the rear brake calibers and champhared the pads.
I replaced the pads with DR pads... No change... The noise only happens when coasting or slowing down at around 30MPH. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same noise at same speeds. Love everything about this bike except this noise, it drives me nuts. First dealer told me it was the belt--Its not. Then they said its the rear wheel bearings and they put new ones in and no fix. I did like you with rear brake and also checked run-out. Was one of the flattest I ever have seen from H-D. I think its a bearing problem on trans output shaft or inner primary. On mine It don't start till I get 10 or 15 miles on it and get some heat in it. It is louder when I ride 2 up. Going to have to butt heads with dealer again I guess. also tried different belt tension and no help. Rear pisser when they have a tech ride bike and he says he hears it but don't know what to do to fix it.

The following users liked this post:
johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

I believe I have the same noise on my 2018 fat bob. I would describe it as a groan, it only happens when it’s warm, riding with the wife makes it worse. I thought it might be the belt but I bought a gauge and checked, it’s in spec.

johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM
2ndTink
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Have they checked the wheel alignment? I was getting noise that sounded a bit like a brake rubbing from 20 to 30 mph, took it to a dealer and they said it was the brake, 2,300 miles later got tired of it and took it to another dealer. The entire back wheel was out of alignment, still makes a little noise but nothing like before. Rides a lot better at 80+ than it did before too.

johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 11:25 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I has a similar sound coming from the rear of my Heritage. Dealer said it was drive belt noise and put some belt dressing on it. Noise is gone now, but Dealer said it would eventually come back.
Cheers

johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Drive belt is too tight !

johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

badcooky tell me how this belt is to tight. I stated I tried different belt tensions no help. When this started it was all at once so you think belt up and tightened self ?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-perf old poop
badcooky tell me how this belt is to tight. I stated I tried different belt tensions no help. When this started it was all at once so you think belt up and tightened self ?
I was answering the other guy man but if you look at your rear pulley you will see that all the new Softails have the belt up against the left outer rim I think some of the noise may come from that regardless of the state of tension.
Every belt drive Harley ever made has the gearbox not at a 180 or straight thru line down the center line , the gearbox does not sit at 90 degrees relationship to the belt.It has a small angle or camber so the belt stays off to the left and doesn't fall off the primary drive pulley/gear to the inside. Now with tolerances the way they are and mass production it's not one thing it's the production made variances that could make a noisy belt.Your belt could be harder up against the rear pulley to the left side because of these variances , the fact you say it's louder after a while or when two up sounds belt related as the pulleys heat up and expand ,the belt gets tighter .
It may well be an output shaft bearing but wouldn't that be there from the get go , I don't know.
One fellow here used the Harley stuff that stops this noise, It's not a permanent fix but you'll know , I would demand your dealer uses that on your bike but buy it if you have no faith in them , if it works and reduces the sound it's not the output bearing.
Cheers guys.

Last edited by badcooky; 09-17-2018 at 07:30 PM.
johnpozzi (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 04:25 AM
johnpozzi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped at a different dealership this weekend. Explained the issue. They came and picked up the bike yesterday as the service manager said he wanted the challenge! I will let you know what they find out... Thanks for the responses!

Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 AM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Let us know, rode two up yesterday evening and got annoyed with it.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage vibration and noise from the brakes?