Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle advice for a noob with a Fat Boy 114!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM
NoahD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screaming Eagle advice for a noob with a Fat Boy 114!

Hello!

I've just done the deal for a 2019 Fat Boy 114. VERY EXCITED! I should have the bike by the end of the week.

Please share your thoughts and experiences doing Stage I and II upgrades, especially on the 114 M8. Please keep in mind that I'm super new to this, and I don't know anything. Explain it to me like I'm a five year old who has had too much sugar.

So far, my thoughts are: I would like an enhanced engine sound and a bit of a performance upgrade and consistent power and torque through the RPM range. I doubt I will feel the need to go to 117. I feel like Stage I is a great idea, and I'm wondering if I should do Stage II. Worth the money? Too much vibration? Super fun?

And, if I do Stage II, which options would you choose and why?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks!! I look forward to hearing from you.

Noah

Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Congratulations on your new bike!

I own a 2018 Street Glide, so I also have an M8 engine. I am waiting for my two year warranty to expire, because I want to do a Stage 1 myself, with non-Screaming Eagle parts. Doing so will void the warranty. But, I have been fine with the performance of the stock M8, so I suggest you wait until you ride it a bit. You may decide there is no need for the Stage 1. If it is just a better sound, you can go with slip on mufflers instead of the Stage 1.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahD
Hello!

I've just done the deal for a 2019 Fat Boy 114. VERY EXCITED! I should have the bike by the end of the week.

Please share your thoughts and experiences doing Stage I and II upgrades, especially on the 114 M8. Please keep in mind that I'm super new to this, and I don't know anything. Explain it to me like I'm a five year old who has had too much sugar.

So far, my thoughts are: I would like an enhanced engine sound and a bit of a performance upgrade and consistent power and torque through the RPM range. I doubt I will feel the need to go to 117. I feel like Stage I is a great idea, and I'm wondering if I should do Stage II. Worth the money? Too much vibration? Super fun?

And, if I do Stage II, which options would you choose and why?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks!! I look forward to hearing from you.

Noah
Mate the direction you go depends if you want warranty or not and your budget.
I would definitely go a Stage1 as it's the base for further mods,It's not engine intrusive you just need the SE stuff and away you go.
It is not the most cost effective but you've then got a tuner to go further if you want.The change you notice will be that the bike revs faster through the range , feels a little stronger.

Last edited by badcooky; 09-17-2018 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NoahD (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 PM
NoahD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
Congratulations on your new bike!

I own a 2018 Street Glide, so I also have an M8 engine. I am waiting for my two year warranty to expire, because I want to do a Stage 1 myself, with non-Screaming Eagle parts. Doing so will void the warranty. But, I have been fine with the performance of the stock M8, so I suggest you wait until you ride it a bit. You may decide there is no need for the Stage 1. If it is just a better sound, you can go with slip on mufflers instead of the Stage 1.
Thanks!

Very cool. I'm curious why you want to go non-screaming Eagle? Better stuff? You like doing the work yourself?

Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 PM
NoahD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badcooky
Mate the direction you go depends if you want warranty or not and your budget.
I would definitely go a Stage1 as it's the base for further mods,It's not engine intrusive you just need the SE stuff and away you go.
It is not the most cost effective but you've then got a tuner to go further if you want.The change you notice will be that the bike revs faster through the range , feels a little stronger.
Okay, good advice. Stage 1 seems to be the way to go to start. The Screaming Eagle stuff keeps it under warranty though, right?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Yes, SE parts will keep you under warranty.. I put the SE street cannons and a SEPST stage 1 tune on my ‘19 FBS, and it made an improvement, albeit a small one. The pipes are still quiet. A bit louder at idle, and sound ok under throttle, but cruising is too quiet for me.

I haven't quite broken 500 miles, (481) and when I came home Sunday from hitting that, I changed my oil but the weather has prevented me from opening it up. However as you said, the 114 makes plenty of power that I don’t think i’ll need to do anything until the warranty is up. Then a real exhaust and a real tune will make a real difference. But that’s 2 years away... Unless I decide “if nothing broke yet, it probably won’t...”

Originally Posted by NoahD
Thanks!

Very cool. I'm curious why you want to go non-screaming Eagle? Better stuff? You like doing the work yourself?
SE stuff is EPA compliant and therefore restricted as to what it can do. A good 3rd party tune and exhaust can give you 10% more. I doubt SE stuff makes half that.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-17-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes, I like doing the work myself and I think the aftermarket options are better than the SE stuff.

artsbest (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Welcome to the club , if I were you I would enjoy the bike first and think about what you want to do with it.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

If you know for a fact that you want to go to Stage I or Stage II, you have two choices: aftermarket, or Screaming Eagle. If you go aftermarket, you'll get potentially better performance, but you will also be throwing your 2-year factory warranty away.

If you go with SE stuff, you will maintain your factory warranty. Additionally, if you do an SE upgrade within the first 60 days of ownership, those upgrades get added to the factory warranty, so the upgraded parts will be covered for the full two years, and will also likely be covered by your extended warranty (if you have one).

So you can:
1) leave it stock and keep your warranty for two years, and then go aftermarket if you want, or
2) go aftermarket now and throw away your warranty and your extended warranty, or
3) go with SE stuff now, maintain your warranty, and perhaps even have the upgrades covered under an extended warranty too. After the warranty is up, you can always go aftermarket if you want.

For a 114, if you want to keep the warranty, the Stage II is the best bang for the buck. Stage I does little to nothing, and Stage III doesn't give you any performance gain over a Stage II Power Cam kit. You can also go Stage IV, but it really depends on how you like to ride. Stage 2 Torque gives a big boost in roll-on power, Stage IV actually takes torque away from the stock bike but gives you a whole lot more high-RPM horsepower. The Stage II Power is about halfway between.

Going aftermarket you can do something like a FuelMoto big bore kit, which gives tremendous gains in horsepower and torque.

I have a 114 with Stage II Torque and am very happy with it. If I want more, then when the warranty is up I am leaning strongly towards the FuelMoto route.

NoahD (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 AM
Dave Cawley
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
You may decide there is no need for the Stage 1. If it is just a better sound, you can go with slip on mufflers instead of the Stage 1.
+1

Dave

NoahD (09-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle advice for a noob with a Fat Boy 114!