Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags rubbing/18 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 421 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Saddlebags rubbing/18 Fatboy

So I installed some H-D detachable bags(P/N~ 90201513A) on my 18 fatty and the damn things rub, right on the edge of the lid they rub against my turn signals where they come to a point. It’s already worn holes in the cheapo vinyl so I need to figure something out.
The bags require a turn signal relo kit,which I installed per instructions, that basically just moves the lights back about 4 inches-which turns out to be about 1/2 inch too little. So I’m just lookin for ideas. I’ll throw a couple pics up so y’all can see what I’m talking about

Old 10-29-2018, 05:05 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did that at first. I had to push in the lid corner to clear the light. Seems better now but still clearance is not much better than yours. No visible damage however.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Thanks for the reply...I’ve tried a couple different things, such as adding washers to the rear docking points-which moved the rear of the bags out and away from the bike, but not quite enough. Also, since the front docking point has an extra spacer, I tried swapping the front and rear docking points and spacers, and it actually worked as far as clearing the bag of the turn signal, but it wouldn’t line up enough to lock the bag in place, so I put it back to the way it’s supposed to be.
Im thinking about putting some Velcro down, just enough to hold the corner of the lid down. I don’t know if that will mess up the flimsy vinyl covering though, I already put a small tear in one side dragging my boot over it(oops).

Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the same problem until I installed the Harley detachable luggage rack. The docking points for the rack moved the bags out just far enough to clear. I do think the design is poor as there is no way the turn signals should touch the bags in the first place.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I my response may have not been clear. I did not bend the lid but just, whenever I remember to, hold the lid corner in slightly when opening and especially when closing in order not to catch on the lights. I agree this should not be happening.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Maybe try about an inch of something like this? Wrapped around the piping so part is on the outside and part on the inside, right where the bullet point contacts the bag.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-18mm-X-2-...sAAOSwbkVaHlJh

Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I my response may have not been clear. I did not bend the lid but just, whenever I remember to, hold the lid corner in slightly when opening and especially when closing in order not to catch on the lights. I agree this should not be happening.
i understood what you were saying, I do the same when opening and closing The Velcro thing was just a thought because my lids stick up a little because of that rubber strip. If I can get that corner of the lid pulled down tight I believe it will stop rubbing, so I’m gonna try it on one bag to see, a little piece of velcro on the bag and one on the lid, right at that corner. I was just a little worried that if it doesn’t work and I pull the self-adhesive velcro back off that it might tear the vinyl

IHodor that might work- I tried a little electrical tape but it just melts from the heat of the light. I have some fiberglass heat resistant tape, but it’s white. I might give it a try to see if it works and if so order the stuff you suggested

Old 10-31-2018, 05:01 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mac-427
I had the same problem until I installed the Harley detachable luggage rack. The docking points for the rack moved the bags out just far enough to clear. I do think the design is poor as there is no way the turn signals should touch the bags in the first place.
Thanks for that, Im sure i will be adding a luggage rack and/or a sissybar. It would be great if doing so would solve the rubbing issue. Just bugs me a little, you spend nearly a grand counting the saddlebags and the relo kit, you’d think H-D would get it right

Old 10-31-2018, 05:13 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

The stuff I posted is designed to provide very little friction to things it comes in contact with. It is teflon coated as well as being heat resistant. It might just allow your bags to move against the light fixtures without abrasing itself or the fixture. If you use some other tape it might not have the same low coefficient of friction causing wear to either the tape, the bag, the fixture, or all three.

Quick Reply: Saddlebags rubbing/18 Fatboy