Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Softail Slim Finally Gets Apes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 01:49 AM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2015 Softail Slim Finally Gets Apes

Hey All,

So I finally decided to pull the trigger on an ape hanger handlebar job for my 2015 Softail Slim. This thread is going to highlight the process of my bike undergoing an ape hanger installation.

This decision was one of the hardest ones I have had to make concerning my bike. Since purchasing the bike brand new, I have always loved the factory configuration with the Hollywood handlebars. I eventually discovered that this factory configuration brought about lower back pain during longer rides, which became quite problematic. After the first year of ownership I attempted to fix my back pain issue through the use of a set of HD 4" pull-back risers, which would retain the factory Hollywood handlebars. Although the installation of the pull-back risers helped to alleviate by pain, I never could get over the cosmetic looks. To me, the HD pull-back riser looked like a chromed out macaroni noodle holding my handlebars. I hated it!!! I spent the last couple years learning to just deal with the cosmetics, in exchange for improved comfort. Until now...

Finally deciding to investigate other options, I went into my local HD dealership to talk about alternative handlebars. I decided that my local shop would perform the handlebar work, since they already had the bike in storage for winter. I was able to narrow down my handlebar preferences to a 12" bar height, either a HD Fat Chizeled or Wild 1 Chubby Outlawz. I nearly went with the pointy HD bars, but felt that the Wild 1 Chubby Outlawz harkened back to the nostalgic nature of the Softail Slim better. I also decided that my factory risers would replace my "macaroni noodle" pull-back risers.

This last Friday I was called into the dealership to drop off the factory risers to the mechanic. I was able to take a glimpse of how my bike is beginning to evolve. Its quite an exciting but nerve-wracking experience. Its the the whole not knowing what the finished product will be, and whether I will like it or not. The attached pictures show the new handlebars briefly mounted to the pull-back risers (which will be taken off). I personally think that this style bar was a step in the right direction, so I'm happy about that. I will say that the quality of the Wild 1 Chubby Outlawz is very impressive. It is a very solid and beautifully constructed bar. I will continue to update this thread as the dealership updates me. I'm hoping for the best ;-P

Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Congratulations on your new bars!!! They will definitely help with the back pain and certainly up the fun factor on the bike. They also look cool as hell!!!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you have to replace the risers and clamp? I am doings these for the wife's Slim soon.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

I put the same bars on my bike except they are 14”, and I really like them. Wild 1 bars are top notch.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:34 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stang951
Did you have to replace the risers and clamp? I am doings these for the wife's Slim soon.
The plan was to go with the stock 2015 risers and clamps. What you see in the picture is the pull-back riser, which is getting removed. LOL, I hated the look of that thing.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big Mule
I put the same bars on my bike except they are 14”, and I really like them. Wild 1 bars are top notch.

Cant wait to see it finished.
I totally agree with the quality for sure! I'm excited but nervous all the same. Im going to be mad if I dont like the look and fit.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:44 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,107 Posts

First thing I do when I get a new bike: apes. I like the way they look and they are about the only bars I've used that don't cause back, neck or shoulder problems on long rides. With apes, you just lay back, hang on and kick it.

You're going to love yours. I have Wild Ones, too. Solid, classic, good-looking bars.

A man's handlebars. Handlebars a man can wrap his knuckles around. People who don't like apes have something missing in their Harley DNA. Other handlebars are inferior and often imply a lack of taste, style, substance and certainly manhood.

Here's my 12.5s on 3.5 risers.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
The plan was to go with the stock 2015 risers and clamps. What you see in the picture is the pull-back riser, which is getting removed. LOL, I hated the look of that thing.

I should have explained more. I bought her the 12" Outlawz, but WO is claiming that you have to replace the risers and clamp because the center section of the Outlawz is too narrow to use the stock ones. I mated them up and they fit fine in the pullback risers, but the stock top clamp from the short risers is too wide just like they said.

I am also looking at the cables and wires now. LA Choppers kits is like 250ish with my discounts and claims to include everything, but they fit 12-14" bars, not specific for the height. She is worried that the extra cable in that kit is going to look goofy. I priced the cables and wires from HD for the black diamond (cause they dont sell regular black anymore through the kits) and it was over 400.00 for the same things. Which way are you going with your cables and wiring?

Old 01-04-2019, 12:35 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Handlebars a man can wrap his knuckles around. People who don't like apes have something missing in their Harley DNA. Other handlebars are inferior and often imply a lack of taste, style, substance and certainly manhood.

The following users liked this post:
ChinoSlim (01-11-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:43 PM
wadejesu
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Burley's

Last edited by wadejesu; 01-04-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Add pic

Quick Reply: 2015 Softail Slim Finally Gets Apes