Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to take needle and thread into my own hands (remolding and covering saddle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:35 AM
LIMike
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden
That should solve it. Good job. You're braver than I am. Would like to change some things about my seat, but no way I'm tackling it myself. I could send it off, but living in Dallas means "sure, it's winter, but you COULD ride tomorrow". (High's close to 70 this Wed and Thursday. Crazy.) So I hate to risk being without it.

Maybe in Feb. when we bring the bikes into to do various upgrades, fixes, etc. Hmmm. Though I'm looking for more comfort, not really a lower profile.

Good luck!
Hey Will, thank you very much. To be honest though this is my extra seat. I purchased an extra seat when I mailed out mine to have it refinishing for that exact reason. I didn’t want to go without my bike for any amount of time. Now that it has been recovered and returned to me I’m able to play with this one.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Just finished stapling down the cover. Definitely came out better then I expected. I didn’t realize how much I shaved off till I took this picture. I’ll definitely install it on my bike today for a test ride

Last edited by LIMike; 01-13-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Bestrafen:
Dehammer (01-14-2019), OldMike (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 PM
LIMike
Road Captain

Hey Bestrafen, I hear man lmao!! But to be honest I just took it for a quick 20 mile spin and it felt great, very comfortable!! Definitely what I’m looking for as far as look and feel, just need to redo it with a little neater thread work.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Don't look at us only your *** is gonna tell whether it likes it or not.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't look at us only your *** is gonna tell whether it likes it or not.
lol, I hear ya bud!! To be honest, I was a competitive cyclist for years. Just gave it up about 6 months ago. You should see the seats on my road bikes and I would be in that saddle peddling every morning for 40 to 60 miles lol

Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

GEL PAD ...
The thinner you go the more you are going to want it.
Also look on CL or offer up for an older sewing machine or a processional machine.
My wife used to use my moms old singer to fix my jeans as well as seats we pulled the covers off and repaired.
Also the professionals (or at least the ones I have seen) use electric knifes to trim the foam (works great).

Don't let hatters get to you about your sewing, if you want to learn you have to start some where.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GRWHD
GEL PAD ...
The thinner you go the more you are going to want it.
Also look on CL or offer up for an older sewing machine or a processional machine.
My wife used to use my moms old singer to fix my jeans as well as seats we pulled the covers off and repaired.
Also the professionals (or at least the ones I have seen) use electric knifes to trim the foam (works great).

Don't let hatters get to you about your sewing, if you want to learn you have to start some where.
Thank you GRWHD, I appreciate that!! It’s all good. I made this thread in good fun. I decided to give this saddle a shot knowing I’m not going to end up with it on my bike. It was for fun, experience and a feel for a lower profile saddle without spending big money on a custom saddle and not like it when it’s done. More like a mock-up for future saddles. I was out riding the bike yeasterday and love the saddle feel and look. I really even don’t mind the sewing so much even though it’s not perfect. I emailed Chris at blackbird customs. I think I’m going to ship it out to him and have it recovered the way it is without gel and professionally lol. I’m happy that I was able to put 60 or so miles on the saddle to see how it feels before sending it out. In the end it’s all going to work out great!!
BTW, I might take some off the back left and right corners before sending to Chris

Last edited by LIMike; 01-15-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GRWHD
Don't let hatters get to you about your sewing...
Who is hating on his sewing? Did I miss something? Or are you referring to my comment about catching rain?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM
LIMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Will Belden
Who is hating on his sewing? Did I miss something? Or are you referring to my comment about catching rain?
Hey Will, I don’t think he meant anybody on the forum. I think he meant the way I was referring to the job I did with sewing. Im saying it myself, I definitely could have done a better job! I never really did good in sewing class 😂 I do appreciate all the input everybody has given me though. Very appreciated!!!

Last edited by LIMike; 01-15-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Decided to take needle and thread into my own hands (remolding and covering saddle)