Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

By bike project soft tail to a bagger

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM
KUMA480
Stage IV
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool By bike project soft tail to a bagger

"First off my Dream Harley was the 2013 Road king CVO with the IPOD system on it."
I decided to turn my 2016 Fatboy into a bagger because it already had cruise control and a 110 motor. I put a bad dad rear finder on to accommodate my back tire and slapped some stretch bags on it and added some speed by design side covers to clean it up. " Warning if your **** like me and you like everything to look line up and perfect and you can't do it yourself. My mechanic had to move my fender back a inch and drop my saddle bags down and back 1 inch so he had to make me a new bracket and he didn't do it for free." I have mixed feelings about the 19 inch apes. After getting use to them I am able to race around town and mid range rides 200 to 300 miles no issues and the thick bars look amazing a friend of my machinic made them. However long rides like Phoenix to El Paso my arms get really tired so I am thinking of dropping to a 12 to 14 in mini ape. So Like I said in my first post I put a 26 inch SMT front tire and I have getting a wobbling at 78 and above after I rode it home yesterday. I hate the way it rides now but I love the was it looks and if I can get to even close to the wat it use to ride I will be happy. I was going to put a steering dampener on it that attached to the forks but due to the 7 inch rake the piston for the dampener wasn't long enough to work still a work in progress. To day I am going to go over to the local races today there are a lot of guys racing 26 in wheels and ask questions. I post some responses if I find any thing positive

My 2016 Fatboy S that I turned into a bagger.

Bad Dad stretch rear fender they where the only company that I could find that had a fender for a 200 back tire.

This is where I was going to originally the steering dampener. going to need to replace that

The wheel looks amazing.

The following users liked this post:
GarageJockey (07-15-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Innigray
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi bike looks really good. I did the same thing to my FXST (with a 200 rear conversion). I put a 23 " on the the front with Fatboy lowers and forks with a 4" drop in the front and standard height in the back (bike sits level) I extended the Fatboy rear guard to match the bags. I had a wobble at high speed as well, especially 1 up but it wasn't noticeable 2 up. I got both wheels balanced steering head bearings adjusted (now replaced) and still a wobble. I had a mate riding behind me and he said the back guard is moving from side to side. I removed the bags and extended guard and fitted the old Bobtail guard and then went for a blast NO wobble. I removed the Bobtail guard and fitted the extend guard back on , went for a blast and got a very slight wobble. I then put the bags back on and went for a blast and the wobble was back. I am now currently getting two braces made for the inner of the rear guard running from the first strut bolt all the way to the bottom of the guard. The weight of the bags, the extended guard and air flow all contributing to the wobble. Check your rear guard, grab the bottom of guard and see if you have movement. cheers good luck.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM
KUMA480
Stage IV
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will look into that thank you.