Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine guards, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine guards, anyone?

Prior to the delivery of my newly purchased Softail Deuce, a friend was very insistant that I have an engine guard installed. He said that regardless of what I thought it would look like, the day would come when I would be happy to have had it on the bike.

I know that the guards are able to minimize damages that might result from dropping your bike. But, engine guards just didn't seem to fit the Deuce theme. So, I don't have one installed currently.

Now as I sit here with the Deuce safely covered in the garage while I'm looking at all the snow and ice outside and thinking of coming warmer days, I wonder if installing the engine guard might have been a good idea. The other night I actually saw a Deuce briefly on TV that had an engine guard and it didn't look all that bad....but some girl was riding it!

Thoughts from fellow riders?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine guards, anyone?

The engine guards do protect a little if your bike falls over. But the main reason I have them on my Softail is for mounting my highway pegs. It is nice to be able to adjust your riding position on long rides and the highway pegs help.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine guards are great, and can save you money should you find out their true function. Its all form/function, you cant have one without taking from the other. I installed a set on my wifes 883 and already I can tell that they have saved me money. Ive even tested them on my Roadking a time or two. One great thing about some of the guards is that you can get soft snap-on covers that will add wind/rain protection, and you can add some highway pegs should you use the bike for long distances.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 04 deuce and will not put a engine guard on mine.

I personaly dont like like looks of a engine guard unless their on a touring bike or at least a bigger bike.

I have heard the argument that all riders have either dropped their bike or will drop there bike.I refuse to beleave that i am going to drop mine.

When you start to think about dropping it that is when it will happen.

It is all what your preference is. Looks or protecting your bike. By reading your post you dont like the looks of it. So the decision is yours.

I have never seen a duece with one so i am scared to get one for mine.

I like a clean look on my bike. I think the guards will make it look to busy( personal preference though).

Maybe if i see one i will change my mind.

David

Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

David, they're some nice looking pipes you have on that Deuce! I had the dealership install the SE slip-ons on mine so that it would sound like a Harley. But, I like the looks of yours.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:37 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

To me, Engine Guards are like like insurance...you usually don't want 'em 'till you need 'em. I like the looks of them on baggers, and I think they are useful for pegs as well. MHO of course.

Mac

Old 01-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I was thinking of getting the Lindby bar but I really don't like the look so I chose not to get one, I also thought about the kuryakyn feet peg's that bolt on the exsisting floorboard's, then I saw that HD has also come out with a new bar that is somewhat simaluar to the Lindby bar and I think it look's better and is a little cheaper.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:47 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pipes are made by vance and hines.

They are called big radius.

I think it is the best thing i did for my bike so far.

I get alot of good comments on them. The only problem is it seems everyone is getting them now. When i bought them them the advertisment said that they would be limited production. I guess they limited them to anyone who wanted them.LOL.

Thanks for the complement on the pipes,

David

Old 01-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine guards is the politically correct name for "Crash Bars".

Not only will they help protect your bike in case of a fall, but will also save your legs in the event of a crash. I will tell you from 1st hand experience, had I not had them on my FLH, I would have certainly lost a leg.

A car passed me on the left and turned RIGHT in from of me. I T-boned the car and the bike slammed into the car as it pulled me into a parking lot.
So, I can tell you they are well worth the investment.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
silvernblack03
Tourer

I think they would really help in the long run....I just don't think I will be putting them on my bike right now....really don't like the way they look on some bikes....but if you are going to be taking some long trips....I'm sure that is where it will really come into play....along with the protection part.

Quick Reply: Engine guards, anyone?