Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAL tailight. HOLY FRIGGN CRAP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 PM
Stinger1
Road Master
Received 932 Likes on 428 Posts
Default BAL tailight. HOLY FRIGGN CRAP!

Just installed the BAL1 on the Fatboy.

This thing is INSANE! I have it set to medium brightness and wondering if thats too bright!

I also set it to 3 quick flashes 3 quick flashes and then solid. I went across the road at night and had the wife hit the brakes. If this won't get their attention nothing will!

It's super easy to go between pattern settings. Just touch the magnet to the lens and it switches. Same for intensity.
I love this light! Had a CD tailight and it was ok till it failed after 1 month. Sent it back and they sent a new replacement. That one also failed after 2 months! No more CD crap. If you are on the fence about the BAL1 get one!

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 08:20 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,725 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I feel the same about the BAL on my Fatboy. Now I got to get one for the sporty.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:10 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,421 Likes on 4,023 Posts

I've been using BAL tail lights for many years... I love them...

If you think the BAL-1 is awesome, you ought to see the BAL-2... not only very expensive, I feel it's too bright. At some point, you go beyond "safety" and enter the realm of obnoxious.....

I have CD LEDs on my bikes too. I have their turn signals, and a couple of their modules and equalizers. I also have one bike with their stop light, because I just wanted a simple stop light. I didn't want to pay for/deal with all the different flash modes on the BAL tail lights. I just don't get the need for them... Anyways, FYI... CD makes good very products. Your experience with two failed tail lights is unusual.....

Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the BAL-1, same pattern as you and I love it. Sitting a stop sign or light, I'll sometimes let off the brake, just to trigger it again when someone is coming up behind me just to make sure I'm seen. (I did this before I got the BAL, but now you really friggin' see me!)

Unfortunately, right now, that brake light is flickering. I'm not sure if I have a short or what. When I press the brake, it does it's job just fine, but when it's just a running light (not braking) it's either flickering between running/off or running/brake, not sure yet. I plan to take it off, put my stock one back on and see what's happening. If the stock one does the same thing, I know it's a short. If it doesn't, then my BAL has gone bad. Interestingly, and why I think it might be a short, it only happens when the bike is running and rumbling. Just powered on, sitting there, engine off, no problem. Just a normal running tail light.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Can never be to bright !

Last edited by kel03; 09-19-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,932 Likes on 3,026 Posts

But keep in mind, you might feel it's to bright but you're looking at it at night
You'll want it as bright as possible because you want to ******** to see you in daylight too.

The following users liked this post:
Buster (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Will Belden
Tourer

Well, the "obnoxious" part CAN apply when someone's following you in stop-and-go traffic, however, that's most likely the time you're going to get hit from behind, anyway, so... kind of a wash.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Sounds cool! I'll have to look into them. But, be careful with the blinking part because it will really anger some folks, particularly in stop and go traffic. You don't need any road rage on your hands..

Old 09-19-2019, 08:42 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Another vote for the BAL-1, I love mine, got last it year, before Daytona and felt much safer, also use the 3 flash-solid, med setting, along with Sunpie head lamp and running lights , I can see and be seen.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 PM
Wapiti Hunter
Tourer
Received 1,420 Likes on 235 Posts

PO installed a BAL, he could not find the magnet to program it. I have many magnets and can not get it to change. It is set in parade mode is guess and will not go to solid when on the brake. Ordered the special magnet from BAL but has not arrived.

Quick Reply: BAL tailight. HOLY FRIGGN CRAP!