Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I running out og clutch cable adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 08:07 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why am I running out og clutch cable adjustment?

I adjusted my clutch pack unscrewing the adjustment screw 5/8 turn out after making light contact. Then I went to adjust cable so the lever is 1/8” slack. But I ran out of threads. Is my cable stretching? Is my clutch pack wearing out? The cable looks great. 2002 Fat Boy. Thanks guys

Old 04-12-2020, 08:18 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 218 Posts

How old is the clutch cable?
How old is the clutch pack?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:24 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Clutch pack is original 2002 with 10k miles cable is 13 years old maybe 7k miles. Bike is in very good condition.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:12 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I had the exact same problem a little while back....In my case it turned out that the outer ramp (that the cable attaches to), was not pushed all the way back when the clutch had been previously adjusted. When this happens the only way to adjust the clutch is to back the adjustment screw way out, and pick up all the slack in the cable with the cable adjuster (if there's enough adjustment available). Before adjusting the clutch, make sure the cable is pushed all the way in at the lever end so the ramp is pushed all the way back, like in this picture. If it's not that, the cable is stretched.

Last edited by Rocker B; 04-13-2020 at 12:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocker B:
JohnK-NJ (04-13-2020), Zedbra (04-15-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 08:55 AM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rocker B
I had the exact same problem a little while back....In my case it turned out that the outer ramp (that the cable attaches to), was not pushed all the way back when the clutch had been previously adjusted. When this happens the only way to adjust the clutch is to back the adjustment screw way out, and pick up all the slack in the cable with the cable adjuster (if there's enough adjustment available). Before adjusting the clutch, make sure the cable is pushed all the way in at the lever end so the ramp is pushed all the way back, like in this picture. If it's not that, the cable is stretched.

ok great thanks. That makes sense.I’ll give it a try. Does a stretched cable often lead to a broken cable?

Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I don;t think it would lead to broken cable, but a cable that can not disengage the clutch as well. Thus creeping bike and faster clutch burning.

Also, sometimes you can set the ball ramp without opening the other side by pulling on the lever after you do the nut adjuster clutch set.

So you let all the slack loose...open the derby cover turn the bolt adjuster clockwise til it lightly sets. Then press the clutch lever at the handle bar like 3 times and the clutch adjuster bolt will move. Reset again. Do it like 3 times. Then try it out.

The following users liked this post:
JohnK-NJ (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:46 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK-NJ
Does a stretched cable often lead to a broken cable?
A stretched cable is a cable that is ready to fail.

Remove the right cover, inspect the ball and ramp mechanism, and inspect the throwout bearing.

JohnK-NJ (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 10:33 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Well I tried to adjust the clutch pack many ways but I still can’t adjust the cable adjustment to take enough slack. So maybe it’s time for a new cable?
I would inspect the ball and ramps when I install. Don’t know yet where the the throw out bearing is yet.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:29 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,540 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Don’t know yet where the the throw out bearing is yet.
Item 7 in the illustration, under the right side transmission cover.
Clutch pushrod parts

JohnK-NJ (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Well I tried to adjust the clutch pack many ways but I still can’t adjust the cable adjustment to take enough slack. So maybe it’s time for a new cable?
I would inspect the ball and ramps when I install. Don’t know yet where the the throw out bearing is yet.
Unless you were almost out of cable adjustment before you started, you might want to pull the cover and take a look before ordering a new cable. When mine was screwed up, I didn't figure out the issue until I pulled the cover and noticed the upper ramp was forward. I couldn't push the cable in from the lever end because the clutch had previously been adjusted with the ramp forward some, so when I tried to pick up the slack I was actually pulling the ramp even more forward, (you can see in the 1st pic below).

While I was in there, I also went ahead and installed a Baker heavy duty throw out bearing kit. It has a much better bearing (see last pic), and slightly steeper ramps, which I really like the feel of. I have more info about the issue and the fix in my Breakout thread... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-less-44.html

Last edited by Rocker B; 04-15-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Why am I running out og clutch cable adjustment?