Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Carb Fatboy. Issues with Carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 03:33 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts
Default 01 Carb Fatboy. Issues with Carb

Bike has 13K on it had issue with choke cable so bought a new one and replaced. Ever since nothing but problems..idles higher then normal, smell like gas all the time. turn it off gas coming out of breather. Choke doesn't work. pull the choke and it will stall...hard to start. I am sure after 20 years a rebuild of the carb would not be a bad idea..however would I be better off on getting a Mukuni carb kit? If so what all do I need to make the switch. Any help in this area would be great..

Old 07-31-2021, 04:28 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Did you pull the carb and check to see if the choke is functioning properly? How is the choke cable routed is it binding up at any point. As for a mikuni, the throttle response is phenomenal and I've never had to as little as adjust mine. Idle is set by the twisty thing on the side. A mikuni easy kit adapts to your stock or aftermarket air filter and uses the stock manifold. Since running a mikuni I will never go back to the stock cv Keihin or S&S.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:46 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,464 Likes on 4,044 Posts

First off, I believe the CV40 carb is under rated and a very good carb...

IMHO.... Everybody was dumping the OEM HD carbs and going to Mikuni and S&S, etc because of the CV40's predecessors prior to the introduction of the CV40 carb in 1989.... that mindset stuck through the years of the CV40..
The CV40 carb is easy to tune, to rebuild, and to get parts for... it will be more than enough carb unless you are planning mods that will take you over 110 HP..

I would keep the CV40 carb... in fact I have one on my 2001 FXSTS and it runs great after a rebuild & tune, when I bought it a couple years ago...

You said, "had issue with choke cable so bought a new one and replaced. Ever since nothing but problems."...

Call me Capt. Obvious, but it's time to check your work......

Anytime an issue(s) pops up after I've done some work or a mod to my bike.. it is almost always something I changed, touched, or bumped during that mod/work that caused the issue(s).

If you need some good info on the CV40 here is a good link:

https://cv-performance.com/instructions-guides

Good luck with dialing in the carb...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-31-2021 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
eighteight (08-06-2021), JohnnyMagic (08-06-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:42 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,027 Likes on 507 Posts

Mukuni HSR42 with a Mikuni intake manifold and Harley air cleaner adapter. That's all you need. You can adjust the idle with a twist of a **** at any time and no more butterfly that doesn't fully open. Mukuni has a gate that fully opens and there is nothing in the way. You can also use the existing Harley cables and a new Mikuni choke comes with the carb. When you open the throttle there is NO hesitation. In the photo, you will see the Mikuni intake manifold then the Mikuni HSR42.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:01 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Ok guys..I bought the Mukuni Easy kit for my Fatboy and have started the install. I got everything hooked up I believe but having a issue getting the gate at full throttle to open more then half open throttle? I have adjusted my cable out as far as it will go I believe. They are new cables I just put on a couple of months ago with the new bars. I did take the cables out of the cable ties under the tank and route under the frame per the instructions but not for sure I have them coming in at right angle. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:37 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Can you post a picture of the cables going into the bracket on the side of the carb? I'm going to run out an pull my air cleaner to get a idea of how far up the slide can actually go. Its been awhile since ive pulled the carb on my bike for any work. On a side note you might want to run a fuel filter between the tank and carb if you haven't already.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:42 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Really got me...doesn't make since

Old 08-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

was able to get it open a hair more but that's it..dont understand this one..

Old 08-07-2021, 09:57 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior

Well got it figured out..sometimes it's best to walk away and start fresh...come to find out the grip was catching in the housing..fixed and bam. Took out for a short spin and can't believe how much more responsive the bike is..looking forward to some light tuning of this carb

Old 08-08-2021, 12:27 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Ashnic,
The throttle tube you are using that gave you grief, is it original to the bike or does the Mikuni Easy kit supply a new one?

Quick Reply: 01 Carb Fatboy. Issues with Carb