Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 05 Springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,783 Likes on 812 Posts
Default Question about 05 Springer front end

Heading out to look at an '05 Springer Softail Classic tomorrow and had a question about the springer front end.

I've always wanted a springer, and this may be my chance, but I was looking at the photos and I wanted to ask if anyone here saw anything I should be aware of when inspecting the front end. I know springers need occasional maintenance, and the owner says he's had the bike since new. So, he should know if any maintenance has been done. But how do I find out if the front end is solid? I've watched the HD videos of the springer frontend maintenance, but is there a way to check it out on the initial ride or by looking at it? (Noob here, please be patient).

Also, look at the front end shot, does it appear that there are the right amount of spacers on the axle?

Here's an exploded view from Ronnie's.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Heading out to take a look at the bike tomorrow and would just like to know as much as possible going in. Thanks all....

Old 08-03-2022, 08:47 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,468 Likes on 4,045 Posts

I bought a 2001 Springer 5 years ago. It only had 9.8K miles, and it's my third bike, so it currently only has 13K miles... I have not done much maintenance on the front end yet, due to the low mileage. Mine is an FXSTS, not the FLSTS, so my front Springer is a little different, mainly in the way the fender is attached..

Your pics look to be normal to me. I have also seen FL Springer versions with a large chrome cover that basically covers the rocker between the rigid fork and the spring fork on each side... The bike in your pics doesn't have that, it has the round cap instead, but looks correct for one without that bigger cover... but again, I've not had personal experience with the FL Springer

I have purchased and read the HD service manual for my FXSTS Springer.... While no Springer expert, the two biggest differences between the Springer and a conventional front end, that I have noticed are:

1) The front rocker on each side, between the rigid fork assembly and the spring fork, has bushings that can wear. I have checked mine and they feel firm and tight, so I haven't disassembled that part of the fork yet... NOTE: that rocker maintains tension between the rigid fork and spring fork. Get the manual before attempting to disassemble it. IT IS UNDER TENSION, and can hurt you if you remove those rocker bolts without first securing the rigid & spring forks. The service manual tells you how.

2) Due to the "forces" from the action of the Springer front end on the steering head bearings, their adjustment is more critical than a conventional front end. It's pretty easy to do, but needs to be checked more often.

Based on those two differences, other than the usual inspections and checks you would do for any other Harley of that vintage, I did two additional things.

I grabbed the front tire, fore & aft, and tried to see if there was any lateral play in those front fork rockers. Mine checked to be very solid. It should also tell you if there is a wheel bearing issue..

Then I paid close attention to the steering head bearings. I was feeling for any looseness in the steering head, smooth movement through it's entire range of motion, and feeling for any "notchy" areas just off center, like if the bearings had low spots worn into them.

Hopefully a Springer owner with more experience than I will chime in with other things I am unaware of, to check during your inspection...

Good luck with the inspection... In the pics it looks like a good bike...! It will be a fun bike to ride!

Last edited by hattitude; 08-03-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 2,596 Posts

Based on the pictures, that looks like a very well maintained motorcycle. I would not have too many concerns. Good luck with the purchase.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:26 PM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

When I bought my 05' Springer Classic (lovely bikes aren't they) last fall the gent had just had the 20K check done on the forks (22k on the odo at the time). Paperwork showed no problems. I'm not sure what you would look for/at to determine if they were good. A test ride should give some indication I would think. Good luck, it's a beautiful bike.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:33 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

I put 112,000 miles on an 05 FLSTSC and had all the bushings and bearings replaced at about 75,000 miles
Other than the recommended neck and rocker adjustments, it didn’t need any attention.

Last edited by IronAss; 08-03-2022 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tcrafty (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Just an update.... I picked up the bike today. Rode it home and it runs good. No pogo in the front, everything seems tight, and the dude said he had the neck bearings done just a while back.

My next chore will be obsessing over the manual, internet, and bike trying to find out as much as I can about it. PO said he did oil changes religiously and it just had a three-hole completed. Said the dealership used SYN3 in all, but I do my own stunts so I'll likely switch over to those products I've used in the past.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tcrafty:
Architect (08-04-2022), hattitude (08-03-2022), Zedbra (08-04-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 04:51 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

What I would be concerned about is whether or not the cam chain tensoiner issue has been addressed.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IronAss
What I would be concerned about is whether or not the cam chain tensoiner issue has been addressed.
Yes, it has. With a hydraulic upgrade. I've not seen it, so he could say anything, but I'm going over to the dealership that performed the work and see if I can get the bike's papers.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:34 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,468 Likes on 4,045 Posts

That's a sweet looking bike....

Congrats and enjoy...!

Old 08-03-2022, 09:20 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Got it. And started a thread over here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ger-today.html

Quick Reply: Question about 05 Springer front end