Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Heritage Softail Fuel Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 08:41 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,572 Likes on 4,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge Fatboy
03 Fatboy here with what I understand is the same "5 gal" tank. I have never been able to put more than 4-4.1 gal in, red light comes on and I can only get about 3.8 gal in........sooo I decided to push it a few times and did run out of gas twice.....I was able to rock the bike side to side which I believe brought more fuel over from left to right (via cross over line) and was able to go another few miles to a gas station. I have always wondered why if it is a 5 gal tank do I run so low and only allows me to fill it to the brim with at most to date 4.1 gal..... still a mystery to me but owners manual and everyone I ask say it is a 5 gallon tank. I just use odometer and plan to refill at 150 miles now as no sense in running it out any more. No big deal but interested in learning any more about it if anyone has any more insight on it but it appears no one out here has been able to much more than 4 gallons in? Keep your knees in the breeze
You should have a 4.99 gal (18.9L) tank.....

Just a few thoughts.....

Have you done any mods? Things like a tank lift or anything that affects the stance (tires, shocks, front end springs, etc) can affect useable fuel in the tank...

If EFI, have you had any work done on the tank internals....? Maybe something with the fuel pump and/or pick-up didn't get set in there properly... maybe something has come loose or "shifted" inside...

When you rocked the bike side to side could you hear fuel....?

Might need to look into your tanks and see if it has debris that can affect the crossover hose, or perhaps the crossover hose has delaminated and is not working properly.

I forget what years have a lined fuel tank, but my 2001 had the lining fail and debris starts to float around inside the tank causing fuel delivery issues...

Those are Just a few things that popped into my head... If it bothers you, it's not that hard to open up the tank and check out the inside....

FWIW..

I have an '03 Heritage that is EFI.... I've never run it out of fuel, but I don't push it. Routinely when it goes to empty on the gauge and the light is on, I take 3.0-3.5 gal.but have filled to 4.0 gallons a couple times. I use the gauge as a guide and always go by the mileage on my trip odometer. I known I've gone 145 miles, but don't remember specifically how much fuel it took at that mileage..

I also have an '01 FX Springer with a carb. Again, I only use the fuel gauge as a guide, but I believe it has the same gauge to fill-up characteristics as my '03 heritage...

If you ever decide to look into it, let us know what you find....

Last edited by hattitude; 01-09-2023 at 08:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sarge Fatboy (01-10-2023)