Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal on metal sound help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:05 PM
Harleyrider1997
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metal on metal sound help.

I’m back on here for the 3rd time in a week lol. 2019 lowrider m8. Last year my engine sumped. Got the work done new oil pump, cams etc. all good to go. Has ran great since. Couple weeks ago brought my bike in for all the fluids to be changed and add a Bluetooth speaker which required the gas tank being removed. A week after that I check oil it was very high, brought bike to shop 2 days ago to be looked at they said they overfilled their mistake. Now today I am riding and I hear metal on metal clanking. I turn bike off immediately after. I check oil it is high again and reeks of gasoline to the extreme. WTF is going on. I was able to flash the bike back up again for no more than 2 seconds and it sounded and ran fine but I shut it down as I don’t want to cause more harm. I need some guidance is this a shop F up when they did the fluids and speaker? Did the to much oil cause a gasket to blow and get fuel to leak in somewhere? I have 2 codes which say running rich now. Is my engine screwed or am I able to save it still? This bike has been nothing but money and problems. Thank you for your time…

Old 04-05-2024, 08:25 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

OK, this is not good.

You've got tremendous gasoline excess, somehow, and it's getting into the crankcase, diluting the oil.

The metal noise is likely something failing in the engine as a result of the diluted oil. I'm not guaranteeing this, but I strongly suspect it.

You've also got the problem of whatever is allowing all this gasoline to get into the engine. Yes the injectors are the likely source. But you've got a running engine, and if the injectors are dumping that much gasoline, the engine would run terribly, if at all. So perhaps it's something bizarre like the gas tank vent line being plumbed into the crankcase vent or such. Or perhaps a badly leaking injector that slowly fills the engine with gasoline as the bike sits parked over on its stand.

I do not think this is going to be a cheap or happy ending.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 04-05-2024 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hattitude (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 08:44 PM
Harleyrider1997
Novice

Just my luck. There goes my riding season. The shop told me all is good to go checked the oil even smelled it and did a check over of it. I don’t know how something like this was missed so simply. Hopefully I can somehow work out a deal with the shop. Something is telling me it’s going to need a new engine.., should’ve went with a twin cam lol…

Old 04-05-2024, 09:28 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,252 Likes on 815 Posts

Don't borrow trouble on my gloomy forecast. Hopefully I'm wrong as hell. So wait and see.

Get it back to the shop, preferably trailering it, and see what they find. See what you two can work out.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Harleyrider1997
Novice

It’s all good. The old lady has been on me about getting rid of this one. Here’s my excuse for something else Bahaha! Hopefully won’t be out thousands of dollars is parts and repairs…which is probably the case. Will keep the updates coming. Thank you

foxtrapper (04-05-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 10:02 AM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,904 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyrider1997
I’m back on here for the 3rd time in a week lol. 2019 lowrider m8. Last year my engine sumped. Got the work done new oil pump, cams etc. all good to go. Has ran great since. Couple weeks ago brought my bike in for all the fluids to be changed and add a Bluetooth speaker which required the gas tank being removed. A week after that I check oil it was very high, brought bike to shop 2 days ago to be looked at they said they overfilled their mistake. Now today I am riding and I hear metal on metal clanking. I turn bike off immediately after. I check oil it is high again and reeks of gasoline to the extreme. WTF is going on. I was able to flash the bike back up again for no more than 2 seconds and it sounded and ran fine but I shut it down as I don’t want to cause more harm. I need some guidance is this a shop F up when they did the fluids and speaker? Did the to much oil cause a gasket to blow and get fuel to leak in somewhere? I have 2 codes which say running rich now. Is my engine screwed or am I able to save it still? This bike has been nothing but money and problems. Thank you for your time…

is "the shop" a Harely dealership or an indy that did the oil pump, cams and tune?

How many miles on the bike?
and did you buy it private sale or from a dealership or indy?

..L.T.A.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:36 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Will keep the updates coming. Thank you
Really appreciate that. Keep us posted.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:56 AM
Harleyrider1997
Novice

Been goin to these guys since I got the bike 4 years ago. They’re both Harley certified, the owner is quite respected and has had his place 40 plus years. His nephew is my guy who worked at a dealership and said he worked almost entirely on M8s for his final 2 years. I bought the bike off the dealership used - 4000km. Wasn’t told of any of the major issues, it was my first bike and I had no thoughts other than I want it and I want to ride now lol.

It ran totally fine before I brought it in for fluids change and to have my speaker put in.. I’m really wondering with the fuel smell if they did something wrong because he had to pop my gas tank off. I’m no mechanic though so it’s just a guess. I’m not going to flip on the guys but it’s very frustrating when I took it to them and I get told just an overfill you’re good to go. And then have what looks like engine failure.

Cap77 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 03:01 PM
Harleyrider1997
Novice

The bike flashed back up with no noises but I only let it run for 3 seconds max. Do you guys think I’m still able to save it or is it likely in the 5-10 seconds it ran with the metal sound it did enough damage where I’m screwed? There was still oil but the problem is that it’s so mixed with gas that it’s very diluted. Please help I can’t talk to my mechanic til this week.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:27 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,421 Likes on 4,023 Posts

The bike flashed back up with no noises but I only let it run for 3 seconds max. Do you guys think I’m still able to save it or is it likely in the 5-10 seconds it ran with the metal sound it did enough damage where I’m screwed? There was still oil but the problem is that it’s so mixed with gas that it’s very diluted. Please help I can’t talk to my mechanic til this week.

It has to be properly diagnosed....

There could be a serious problem. Guess work has no place here... no one will be able to fix this over the internet, too many possibilities and questions...

That metal sound could have been anything, not necessarily an internal engine noise issue.

The gas in the oil is the main concern, IMHO. If it entered the oil system via the piston chamber, washing the oil off the cylinder walls as it passed through the cylinders, it could have caused some serious damage to the cylinder walls and/or piston rings.....

STOP RUNNING THE ENGINE, until a knowledgeable person (hopefully the shop tech who did the work) can do a proper diagnosis...

Last edited by hattitude; 04-06-2024 at 07:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
foxtrapper (04-07-2024), tar_snake (04-07-2024)