Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel toe shifting is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:04 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Heel toe shifting is awesome!

My Fatboy doesn't have heel shifter, the previous owner took the heel shifter lever off and lost it. Today I went to the dealer and picked one up, tried it the first time, it is totally awesome, I found the floor board upshift is extremely hard for me, here is the solution, I am very happy with it. [\\]

Old 07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heel toe shifting is awesome!

Yup, love the heel&nbsp\\;shift. Just kick her&nbsp\\;with the heel. First ride that I owned with a heel shift. Some don't like the heel shift but that's why you can buy the cap to make up the difference in length. Gunner out.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 AM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took mine off. Glad you found&nbsp\\;it to be a problem solver though.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:39 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't much care for it. Have to lift my foot off the floorboard to shift and that just bugs me. To me, it needs to be under the heel with a shorter floorboard. I'm gonna take mine off and put the cover on the bolt. Glad it works for others, though.

Big Al

Old 07-04-2008, 05:28 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only reason mine is still on is that I don't have the cap for the end of the shaft yet...
&nbsp\\;
Don't like it... don't use it...
&nbsp\\;
Charlie D.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:19 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't use mine for months after I got my bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When my wife got her Deluxe I realized why.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My bike's rear shifter was set up too high which meant I had to just about lift my leg to shift it. Since I lowered it, it's much easier to use.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Alot of people don't like it because it takes room from the floorboard.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My wife insisted I take her's off to which I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;said, "take it off yourself". Gotta keep the little ladies under control&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
HD does make a swivel for the rear shifter that allows it to be pushed out of the way when you're on the hiway.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Very pricey though.
&nbsp\\;
Some riders complain about the rear peg getting caught in their pant legs.&nbsp\\; Haven't had a problem with that yet.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; One thing I have done a couple times is downshifted when I meant to upshift.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I don't know if this is a product of having two shifters to think about or just a brain fart.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The heal shifter was the first thing to come off the bike as soon as I got&nbsp\\;the&nbsp\\;Fatboy&nbsp\\;home for the first time.
&nbsp\\;
I still have the part (and now many others) stored in my garage.&nbsp\\; I like the extra room on the boards, and am too old-school for how I've always shifted.&nbsp\\; The cap cleans things up nicely.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:52 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

gosh, if I'd known you wanted a heel shifter, I would have given you the one I took off my bike.
&nbsp\\;
I'm too old of a dog to learn a new trick.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people don't like them (or can't retrain themselves), but like you, I also think they are awesome. In fact, I even modified my Night Train to heel/toe using the factory forward controls. It saves me 2 changes of foot position when going from normal riding position to upshift.

B4:
* swivel foot to left
* move toe down (to clear peg)
* swivel foot right (positioned under peg)
* upshift

NOW:
* slide heel back (w/o removing from peg)
* upshift

Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mine since I switched to the extended levers. I have them set up in a way that the front shifter is raised high to allow for more forward boot movement and the heel lever lowered and extended of course which allows me to slightly raise my heel keeping the majority of my boot on the board and jam that puppy down. I rented an 08 Ultra last week, stock set up, the lever shortness and positions were very uncomfortable. Made me realize how much more comfort and room the extended levers provide! JMHO[sm=americanasmiley.gif]Happy 4th!!

Quick Reply: Heel toe shifting is awesome!