Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 10W30 in an emergency

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 10W30 in an emergency

First, the details.&nbsp\\; I have a 2007 Softail Custom that just had it's first 5K service.&nbsp\\; About 700 miles after the service, while on a&nbsp\\;a ride (900 mile trip thru NY/VT and NH) and it rained&nbsp\\;terribly.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;That second&nbsp\\;day it rained even harder than the first, and I was stuck in traffic for an hour at little more than idle as the traffic moved slowly.&nbsp\\; Once out of traffic I was back up to 50mph when I noticed the oil light started to come on dimly.&nbsp\\; I pulled over and checked the oil, and it looked to be a little low.&nbsp\\; I started her back up and the light was off.&nbsp\\; About 5 miles down the road, just as I passed a service station, the light came on again, still dim.&nbsp\\; I slowed down to turn around, and noticed that when I hit the right turn signal, the green indicator and red oil indicator would&nbsp\\;alternately flash.&nbsp\\; I pulled into the station, checked the oil again, and decided to pick up some oil to add.&nbsp\\; All they had was 10W30, so I bought that and&nbsp\\;added about 12-14oz.&nbsp\\; The light stayed off for about another 5 miles, then again came on dimly.&nbsp\\; I was getting real concerned now.&nbsp\\; It would also alternate flashing with the turn signal.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;We stopped again to get something to eat (and get out of the rain), and waited for about an hour for the rain to stop.&nbsp\\; I watched it for the&nbsp\\;next 15 miles or so to the hotel and the oil light stayed off.&nbsp\\; The next morning things were dry, and I found a dealership in NH.&nbsp\\; For that 20 miles trip to the dealer the light never did&nbsp\\;come on.&nbsp\\; Nor did it come on for the remainder of the 350 mile trip back to our friends home in NY.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I spoke to two HD dealers that day and they both agreed that the oil indicator coming on dimly was most likely caused by the massiive amount of moisture from all the rain (it really did dump water).&nbsp\\; They also said I needed to&nbsp\\;change the oil as soon as possible because I added 10W30.&nbsp\\; I do not run synthetic.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
What are your feelings on how imperitive it is to change the oil even though all I added was about 12-14oz.&nbsp\\; Do I need to change the filter as well?&nbsp\\; I have about 1000 miles on it since the 5K service.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;& nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nb sp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Adding 10W30 in an emergency

You should change it, the normal 10/30W is not formulated for the needs of your engine. Its got the wrong or not enough of the right additives for an air cooled engine that runs as hot as a Hog.
Harley recommends that you use oil formulated for diesel engines if you can't get the right formulation as it has most of the right stuff and is heavy enough to withstand the heat.
If you change the oil, change the filter, its just cheap insurance.
As for the light coming on, odds are that it got so wet the sensor was just shorting and providing a false signal. But adding oil even if its not the&nbsp\\;right kind is not the worst thing you could have done.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Biker_Boats
Novice

I agree with citoriplus. An oil change is one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do on your hog. No point in risking a future multi thousand $$$ fix.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on how cheap you are.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My book says use diesel motor oil in a pinch

Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If your oil was "a little low" the light should not come on. I believe the oil pressure has to be&nbsp\\;almost zero&nbsp\\;for the light to oil come on and I believe its either on or off. &nbsp\\;The tank would have to be almost empty&nbsp\\; for this unless you you have an oil pump pressure problem ( extreme hot condition).&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Now with that said, you&nbsp\\;mentioned of days of heavy rain, I could believe wet connectors or partial short due to water),&nbsp\\;current bleed over, that energized / or partially energized&nbsp\\;the oil light. I say this because you mentioned "dim" light and other electrical problems.
I would dump/&nbsp\\;reservice&nbsp\\;the oil /filter, have the oil pressure checked with the engine hot. I don't think the small amount of 10w30 oil would do harm but if you were stuck in heavy slow traffic for a long time,&nbsp\\;especially with petroleum base oil, your oil is done. JMO.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO adding that small amount of 10W30 will not hurt anything. Your system holds 128 ozs. Only about 10% will be 10W30.
People that bring their cagers in to places that have quick oil changes, more often then not end up having 100% of the wrong weight oil&nbsp\\; put in.
Tom

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a pinch, ANY oil is better than NO oil. Just change it out and you'll be set.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

I've got a case of deisel oil left over from my powerstroke that I traded...I use that in a pinch per the owner's manual.....

Quick Reply: Adding 10W30 in an emergency