Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Gods are against me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM
grayTshirt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike Gods are against me!

I agree with HBWill, I would ask what the other options are, this definitely doesnt sound like they have your best interests in mind. Besides, this is their screw up, they should be the one to have to suck it up and make it right, not you. Judging from your track record, you will put 5005 miles on the bike and the engine will lock up and then your screwed.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude that sucks. Don't do it and call HD.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Sumo
Intermediate

just trade her in on a new one mate.... problem solved

Old 08-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sumo
just trade her in on a new one mate.... problem solved
I think that's the direction I'm leaning---I hate to do it, considering the time and money I've put into it, but unless they're willing to pick up the tab on any engine-related problems for the life of the bike, that's probably what I'm gonna do.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Here's the latest in the continuing saga of Buck Naked vs. the Bike Gods....
I met w/ the HD dealership owner, GM, Service Mgr., and Sales Mgr---all in one office! Here's the proposals they're making: 1) They'll replace the rings and give me a 5 yr. extended service plan free to cover any engine issues that may arrise. or 2) Put my bike on the sales floor---sell if it gets a buyer, but mainly to see what kind of interest it brings. If it brings a lot of interest at the price I've got on it, they'll give me the trade value I'm asking for on a new one. If the bike doesn't sell or bring much interest, I can still fall back to 1). I doubt very seriously that I'll get a better deal than that.

Everyones thoughts?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Plan A: Counter with having them redo the entire top end, maybe a 1000 mi service / dyno tune and definitely a 5 year service plan.

Plan B: Sell the bike.

Unless you are really wanting to get rid of your bike, Plan A is the way that I would go. I would feel pretty good about my future with plan A.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 570 Likes on 414 Posts

How about getting them to do a engine upgrade to 103 with them supplying the piston and rings and labor for free including boring out your jugs. You provide getting the heads done at say (HQ) or somewhere and buy some big cams then the give you a dyno tune and warranty the engine for 2 more years. The rings aren't going to make up for scarred up cylinder walls.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:02 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I would get them to give me a new motor... Its not only the top end you have to worry about...

You have cam bearings... rod and main bearings... lifters...

Naaa... it would have to be an all new motor or a rebuild and them showing me all the old parts...

But thats me...

Charlie D.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It comes down to this: THEIR mechanic rode the bike 15 miles without oil. One of the top cardinal sins for any motor. Whether there is damage or not, ANYTHING can happen which would relate back to that specific event. Thus, because their employee made a judgement mistake (not checking the fluids before firing it up) it is on them to FULLY RIGHT this problem. Righting this means a new motor.

Example: My fathers business owns a fleet of Ford trucks. A new F350 was delievered and the motor locked up at 450 miles. Fords solution? After some discussion, they delivered an entirely new truck. Reason was because we sat down with them and said your product, your problem, your mistake, we're not suffering for this.

Stay strong, demand satisfaction (new motor). Any problems - there's always the chain of command. Run it as high up as it takes to get you properly fixed.

Good luck.