Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
xxxflhrci, SuperAchmed - or anyone else

Not to hijack the thread, but it kind of relates.

Is it really worth the money to just do a cam change? I know cams are $300 or so, how many hours would a shop charge me for just cams. I'm contemplating some engine mods, nothing radical. Maybe a big bore kit and cams, but may just do cams.
Yep cams are worth it assuming you already did the intake and pipes. And you want to do gear driven cams, get rid of the chain cam setup, going gear drive makes this part of the engine bullitproof and gets rid of an inspection/wear point as well, so it the long run you can actually SAVE money.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
Yep cams are worth it assuming you already did the intake and pipes. And you want to do gear driven cams, get rid of the chain cam setup, going gear drive makes this part of the engine bullitproof and gets rid of an inspection/wear point as well, so it the long run you can actually SAVE money.
Good point. If you have to spend money replacing the tensioners, then why not spend the money now on cam/gear drive...

Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Good point. If you have to spend money replacing the tensioners, then why not spend the money now on cam/gear drive...
+1 on the gear drive Cam setup.

Better consider cost of adjustable pushrods too.

Think about new Lifters, better oil pump (If wanting to lower idle RPM) and potentailly a new cam plate depending on wear.

Not even thinking about the work needed for high lift Cam setup.

Like already said... making a TC sound anything like an EVO can get expensive.

If I'm off base.. fire away.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, you guys have peaked my interst. So, if going to a gear drive cam set up, what parts would I need? I already did the high flow A/C and pipes. I will probably throw some thundermonsters in the pipes just for sound.

Can you reccomend a cam? Woods, Andrews, Screaming Eagle, etc?
What am I looking at as a bundle cost?

Cams $300 + Labor $300 (4 hours)

What else?

My goal would be more torque and hp in the low and mid ranges, more ridability without sacrificing reliability.

thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by WARG
Okay, you guys have peaked my interst. So, if going to a gear drive cam set up, what parts would I need? I already did the high flow A/C and pipes. I will probably throw some thundermonsters in the pipes just for sound.

Can you reccomend a cam? Woods, Andrews, Screaming Eagle, etc?
What am I looking at as a bundle cost?

Cams $300 + Labor $300 (4 hours)

What else?

My goal would be more torque and hp in the low and mid ranges, more ridability without sacrificing reliability.

thanks
For stock heads I would recommend the Woods TW 6G cam. Don't even waste your time looking at any other cam. Great grind. Pulls hard right off idle to about 5000rpms. You will also need the andrews gear drive conversion kit as well, outer cam chest gasket and a set of adjustable pushrods. Realistically looking at about $1000 for the upgrade including labor. Its very worthwhile though.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAhcmed
For stock heads I would recommend the Woods TW 6G cam. Don't even waste your time looking at any other cam. Great grind. Pulls hard right off idle to about 5000rpms. You will also need the andrews gear drive conversion kit as well, outer cam chest gasket and a set of adjustable pushrods. Realistically looking at about $1000 for the upgrade including labor. Its very worthwhile though.
that sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't care about going 100 mph, I just want to get from 0 to 60 as quick as possible. I'm going to start doing some research. You mentioned this is good for stock heads. I guess this would also be a good cam if I decided to go with a 95" kit later on too?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look into buying a cam for the performance, not for a sound! You can install a humungous cam to get the sound but find your bike doesn't run very well in town. All the above posts give some good advice. If you're planning on work later (i.e.: new heads) better to wait until that and do them all at once since cam swap is a lot easier when you remove pushrods & tappets. Still chomping on the bits here to put a SE cam in the Sporty but waiting for the 10:1 piston, too!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
bigoscycles
Cruiser

Bob Wood Has a bolt in cam that should make you happy.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

Looking to do the same thing in the next couple months. Looking at going with the Head Quarters 34 Bolt In cam.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
junk99
1st Gear

I had se203 cams put in. We were riding two up. What a difference. Its the way it should have built, But if you are going to do it go gear drive.

Quick Reply: cams ?